Teaching Relief Society

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
AmyJ

Teaching Relief Society

Post by AmyJ » 27 Feb 2019, 07:27

I taught R.S. this past week.
I brought in tools to make a rainbow and talked about how no one sees the same rainbow (because a rainbow is created by the angles between the eye, the light source, and the raindrops) even though everyone will see a rainbow in roughly the same area.

I tied that into no one will see/experience God's love in the same way - but there are general patterns. We also talked about what it means to be a Christian acknowledging that each of us has a unique relationship with God that can't be the same as another's. I also included C.S. Lewis's quote about walking among eternal splendors or everlasting horrors.

We covered the first principle in President Gay's talk "Taking Upon Us the Name of Christ" on how to work to refine our perceptions to see as God sees. We talked a little bit about how we reflect God's love like a prism - and that it will look differently based our individuality. We also talked a little bit about what the foundation of our perceptions really is (the physical, mental, and emotional components). Several of the sisters talked about how drastically their perception of reality changed after diagnoses of and beating cancer. I (with humor) redirected the conversation to less extreme examples of dehydration, and seasonal depression. Living in Michigan, everyone gets a touch of seasonal depression around mid-February - so they can relate BUT it is also opening the door for conversations about depression.

Looking at it now, I think that my unique perspective did the lesson justice. I was rattled because we were recovering from the stomach flu (72+ hours past - so good to be in the community), and I had driven our car with the beat up fender area flapping in 40+ gusts of wind. I guess it went over well because I got several compliments (including from a new sister who I am befriending or whom is befriending me - hard to tell). The R.S. President also asked me to teach on the 4th Sunday in March. While I did volunteer to teach in November, it was a mutual decision that I would teach in December, and she asked me to teach in February.

LookingHard

Re: Teaching Relief Society

Post by LookingHard » 28 Feb 2019, 05:32

Nice!

Roy

Post by Roy » 28 Feb 2019, 13:08

I love it. Different perspectives that are not wrong or right, just different.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

mom3

Post by mom3 » 28 Feb 2019, 16:02

Amy you are doing such an amazing job. I love that you are on this self directed path. Inspirational. We had Stake Conference. Nothing to report.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 01 Mar 2019, 17:47

Thank you. What a great lesson.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken