Questions asked of Youth in Aaronic Priesthood Advancement Interviews

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: Questions asked of Youth in Aaronic Priesthood Advancement Interviews

Post by Curt Sunshine » 23 Jan 2019, 13:12

My heart is full right now.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 23 Jan 2019, 16:16

Roy wrote:
22 Jan 2019, 09:28
After our church meetings last Sunday, I ordained Roy Jr. to the Aaronic priesthood in the office of a deacon. There did not seem to be any question that I would perform the ordinance. It was just my wife, my daughter, my son, the bishop and I in the office. I am grateful for the opportunity to be able to participate in this coming of age milestone for my son.
I have had very similar experiences and likewise am grateful to have participated in rites of passage that were important to my boys (and wife) even though they were not important to me and I do not necessarily believe in priesthood power or authority. My biggest regret is the rites I did not participate in because of my own foolishness.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 24 Jan 2019, 05:51

The part I don't get is that somehow, my son got interviewed. No one asked me about it personally, I wasn't aware of when the interview happened -- my son was simply sustained in Sacrament meeting so I thought 'I guess they held an interview and he passed it'. I was really surprised when he stood up after his name was called as I knew nothing about it, other than the Bishop had asked my wife if it was OK if he interviewed him. We said yes, but then I heard nothing from anyone, not my wife, or my son, after that, until he was sustained in sac meeting.

I think it's partly my Bishop. His wife engineered an extremely emotionally violent mutiny against me years ago, and our Bishop is a kind of passive aggressive, avoiding-of-conflict sort of guy. He's mild mannered, but definitely assertive, but in ways I find annoying. I suspect my Bishop dreads a conversation where I explain the role his wife had in my own demise in the church. It was significant. I don't think he's "out to get me", but if he could work through my wife with no involvement from me, he would do it. My Bishop never asked about my TR when my wife went to him wanting one so she could be at my daughter's temple wedding a year or two ago.

And my son is very quiet and uncommunicative with me personally. My wife -- I guess she thought we'd agreed to it and just worked with the Bishop to make the interview happen.

So, now I wonder -- when will he be ordained? Who will do it? Has it already happened? I am completely out of the loop. Need to have a conversation with the wife when the moment is right to see what she knows.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young