My Stake President - His Moses Instruction

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
mom3

My Stake President - His Moses Instruction

Post by mom3 » 04 Jan 2019, 13:24

I brag about my SP a lot. He is one remarkable guy.

This past Sunday the Stake leadership took the 3rd hour in each ward to discuss our Stakes goals for 2019. Those goals were set in the end of September before the "blizzard" of change took place. When we set these goals, we determined that we would take Dec. 30 as our day to spread the news, not realizing that the world would turn upside down.

Then in November the Area Rep decided he needed to send out his goals for church members. It was 4/5 fold mission deal. :crazy: Had he missed GC, was in the same church as me.

Anyway, I got to tag along with SP. I did my spiel. Bishops passed along the Area Rep thing. The SP wrapped up. Here was the genius. Instead of telling wards what to do, he shared Moses standing at the Red Sea and pleading with the Lord. He asked the audience, "What did the Lord do?" Of course everyone said, "Parted the sea." But that wasn't the answer. In the the New Testament version, God asked Moses why he was praying to him about this problem. In essence God told him to use his staff and power to effect the situation. There was no guarantee or Godly intervention. What ever was going to happen was up to Moses.

He closed his remarks with, "You have a lot of information before you. It's up to you how you will use it. Like Moses staff, you get to direct the details."

No pressure, no hints at what is "Good, Better, Best."

There are good guys out there. I am lucky to be close enough to watch one.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: My Stake President - His Moses Instruction

Post by Curt Sunshine » 04 Jan 2019, 17:38

That is awesome.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Roy

Post by Roy » 06 Jan 2019, 14:38

Wonderful! We do not need to be directed in all things - and that includes at all levels of the church.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Ilovechrist77

Post by Ilovechrist77 » 14 Jan 2019, 12:09

Mom3, to how your stake president responded, I say :thumbup:

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 14 Jan 2019, 12:25

A decent leader always knows what and what not to delegate. A poor one the reverse.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."