President Nelson Quote - What think you.

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
Roadrunner

Re: President Nelson Quote - What think you.

Post by Roadrunner » 28 Nov 2018, 14:11

I believe that many local and general leaders of the church in the 60s, 70s, and 80s would have viewed this as incorrect and maybe even apostasy. An implication of this statement is that parts of what we have and do are wrong and need improvement.

AmyJ

Post by AmyJ » 28 Nov 2018, 14:14

nibbler wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 12:02
google's dictionary defines restoration as... aw jeez, there I go:

"the return of a hereditary monarch to a throne, a head of state to government, or a regime to power."

So you could include anything that prepares people for the second coming of Jesus as being a part of a "restoration." So there may be something to this whole second coming business.
"Restoration" also has connotations of "returning to a former state or glory" - such as in furniture restoration.

I think part of his "restoration" includes initiatives to return authority to the individual over the group - changes in ministering, church supported home study change returning the initiative to the parents/family and adapting to their needs. He made a point in his April 2018 talk about personal revelation.
NOTE: Strong personal bias towards individual authority in the above statement.

On the other hand, some of those initiatives return authority to the group over the individual - hence the focus on the name of the church, and in a sense, the combining of the quorums.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 28 Nov 2018, 14:19

Roadrunner wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 14:11
I believe that many local and general leaders of the church in the 60s, 70s, and 80s would have viewed this as incorrect and maybe even apostasy. An implication of this statement is that parts of what we have and do are wrong and need improvement.
I think so too. I think they thought the restoration was an event as opposed to an ongoing process. I think they were the ones who were wrong, and there has been a significant shift, especially of late, toward recentering on the core of the gospel.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Roy

Post by Roy » 28 Nov 2018, 16:48

nibbler wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 12:02
I've heard that Nelson is big on prepping for the second coming but now that I think about it, it's usually always 2nd hand, someone else saying that Nelson is focused on it. I didn't watch this most recent general conference, I'm waiting to have it read to me over coming months. Did Nelson hit the theme of the second coming in any of his talks?
This is the best that I can do to corroborate that idea:
“He's not afraid to do something different,” said the prophet’s wife. “If we're really preparing the Church and the world for the Second Coming of the Savior, he is sincere about that. He doesn't want us spending money, time, energy on anything that isn't really focused on that. It's pretty stunning.”
This quote could be taken to mean any number of things. It could mean that President Nelson is focused on making our church more Christ centered or it could mean that he is preparing for the end times. It could also just mean that sister Nelson spoke out of turn and was just trying to emphasize that 1) President Nelson is the duly apointed prophet and 2) that he is vibrant, and energetic, and in no way incapacitated.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Roy

Post by Roy » 28 Nov 2018, 17:14

I am actually rather excited about focusing on different definitions of the word "restoration".

The word can and does mean to restore the essential elements of the primitive church and that is what the pioneers focused on.

But maybe it also means to "restore the rightful monarch" in creating a more Christ centered church or to "Restore" as in bringing out a hidden luster, beauty, or glory and we can focus on those equally valid meanings! :thumbup:
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

mom3

Post by mom3 » 28 Nov 2018, 18:25

He doesn't want us spending money, time, energy on anything that isn't really focused on that.
Does this mean we are going to quit building malls and high end housing developments? Just curious?
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

dande48

Post by dande48 » 28 Nov 2018, 18:56

mom3 wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 18:25
He doesn't want us spending money, time, energy on anything that isn't really focused on that.
Does this mean we are going to quit building malls and high end housing developments? Just curious?
Doesn't the bible say Jesus was a staunch capitalist? I'm sure it's in there somewhere.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 30 Nov 2018, 16:55

I've a hunch it won't be as dramatic as it sounds.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 30 Nov 2018, 22:17

mom3 wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 18:25
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No, I think it means there will be even more restoration projects like City Creek Mall :mrgreen:
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

mom3

Post by mom3 » 01 Dec 2018, 14:36

No, I think it means there will be even more restoration projects like City Creek Mall
Naturally, because Jesus' step-dad was a carpenter. Makes sense to me. :silent:
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman