President Nelson Quote - What think you.

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
Sheldon

Re: President Nelson Quote - What think you.

Post by Sheldon » 09 Dec 2018, 11:09

I wrote a blog post on this very subject, posted this morning at Wheat & Tares

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 09 Dec 2018, 11:54

Good post!

I responded there.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

mom3

Post by mom3 » 09 Dec 2018, 16:42

I will watch the comments closely. Thanks for putting a clearer comparison up. I am still not sure what I think.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Roy

Post by Roy » 10 Dec 2018, 12:59

This was my response to Sheldon's post:
I love the concept of the process of "continuing restoration" because I believe it gives the church flexibility to have been wrong in the past. We currently teach that God commanded polygamy and then commanded its cessation and that many of the reasons people believed for why polygamy was necessary was human speculation. We currently imply that God commanded that church members of African descent be excluded from the priesthood and the temple and then later commanded that these same people be included - and that many of the reasons people believed for why the priesthood ban was necessary was human speculation.
I hope that "continuing restoration" will allow us to have been wrong about what God wanted in the past. Similar to the talk about "wrong roads" from Elder Holland maybe God allowed us to travel those paths in order to find out for ourselves that they were not the better way and that we could put them behind us once and for all. Perhaps God is gently course correcting his church just as fast as we will allow. I feel that this process of growth and eternal progression is hindered when we feel that institutional racism or women as property has a place in the economy of heaven. We do not need to try to fit those pieces into our theological puzzle nor set them aside for consideration later - we can just discard them as the unhelpful distractions that they are. Surely we have spent enough time trying to defend the indefensible. Let's move forward and upward.
I agree that using the word "restoration" in this context mangles the meaning and how it was used by earlier church members. Maybe that is what needs to happen in order for the church to move forward. It would not be the first time that we changed the meaning of a word to better fit our evolving theology.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Roy

Post by Roy » 02 Jan 2019, 16:29

Today, I noticed a new and semi-permanent Nod to the concept of a continuing restoration.

The Church News has as a new subtitle "A LIVING RECORD of the RESTORATION".

https://www.thechurchnews.com/?nm=1

I called the number provided to ask about the change and was told that it was added in May 2018.

In addition to the concept of an ongoing restoration (and thus reporters documenting the restoration in our modern time), I am intrigued by the use of the word "Living".
Living document
A living document or dynamic document is a document that is continually edited and updated. A simple example of a living document is an article in Wikipedia, an online encyclopedia that permits anyone to freely edit its articles, in contrast to "dead" or "static" documents, such as an article in a single edition of the Encyclopedia Britannica.
Perhaps the term "living restoration" might excite me most of all! Probably too academic to catch on. :cry: I will content myself with continuing revelation.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Roy

Post by Roy » 03 Jan 2019, 15:53

We are witnesses to a process of restoration. If you think the Church has been fully restored, you are just seeing the beginning. There is much more to come."
With the recent temple endowment changes coming so soon on the heels of all the other recent changes I can imagine 50 years from now seeing a book with the title something like - Russell M. Nelson and the Rise of Modern Mormonism.