President Nelson Quote - What think you.

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
mom3

President Nelson Quote - What think you.

Post by mom3 » 27 Nov 2018, 13:08

We are witnesses to a process of restoration. If you think the Church has been fully restored, you are just seeing the beginning. There is much more to come."
Let's discuss...
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

nibbler

Re: President Nelson Quote - What think you.

Post by nibbler » 27 Nov 2018, 14:03

He either has other changes planned, doling them out one or two at a time every time general conference rolls around, or it's an attempt to keep people motivated/excited.

The mileage I'd like to get with a quote like that:
Let's all keep an open mind because we don't currently have all the answers (aka don't say people that believe xyz are wrong during SS).

The practical application of the quote:
I can't wait to see what Nelson has cooked up for us next (I'll continue to fight against xyz until we get permission that it's okay).
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
— Henry David Thoreau

dande48

Post by dande48 » 27 Nov 2018, 14:54

It allows for change (even radical change), while maintaining the Church's authority, consistency, and connection with the "primitive Church". I think it was said mostly to reassure those members who's faith would be shaken by radical, prophetic change.

I can see why many people would feel excited by such a quote. Or nervous. But personally... meh...
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

Roy

Post by Roy » 27 Nov 2018, 16:15

dande48 wrote:
27 Nov 2018, 14:54
It allows for change (even radical change), while maintaining the Church's authority, consistency, and connection with the "primitive Church"
I quite like the concept of the continuing restoration. To me this provides the framework for 1) acknowledging how messy church history is and that the church can be true and be deeply flawed at the same time and 2) provide the framework for eventually disavowing things like the priesthood ban and polygamy as speculative mistakes and dead-ends.

I am not quite sure how it relates to "restoration" in the sense of restoring things from the primitive church. I suppose I want a forward looking organization trying to seek solutions to modern problems rather than one trying to recreate a "perfect" church organizations from another time and place. Thankfully, I have not heard of anyone trying to make the argument that such changes as service missions, the two hour block, or ministering was some heretofore lost ancient wisdom that was recently revealed and returned to its proper place in the church organization.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Reflexzero

Post by Reflexzero » 27 Nov 2018, 18:12

“Our message to you tonight is the same as the message we've given to others, that God lives, that Jesus is the Christ, that this is His Church restored in its fullness,” said President Russell M. Nelson of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, as he finished his global ministry tour Sunday, April 22, 2018, on the Brigham Young University–Hawaii campus in Laie, Hawaii.
Seems the message has evolved over the year.

dande48

Post by dande48 » 27 Nov 2018, 19:47

Reflexzero wrote:
27 Nov 2018, 18:12
“Our message to you tonight is the same as the message we've given to others, that God lives, that Jesus is the Christ, that this is His Church restored in its fullness,” said President Russell M. Nelson of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, as he finished his global ministry tour Sunday, April 22, 2018, on the Brigham Young University–Hawaii campus in Laie, Hawaii.
Lol. I believe most religious talk is, and always will be, "heavily open to interpretation".
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 28 Nov 2018, 05:34

mom3 wrote:
27 Nov 2018, 13:08
We are witnesses to a process of restoration. If you think the Church has been fully restored, you are just seeing the beginning. There is much more to come."
Let's discuss...
I think this quote is much closer to what others of the Q15 are saying. I quoted from Uchtdorf's "Are You Sleeping Through the Restoration" recently. And of course there's always AoF 9, which is canonized scripture:
We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

AmyJ

Post by AmyJ » 28 Nov 2018, 06:54

mom3 wrote:
27 Nov 2018, 13:08
Let's discuss...
Reflexzero wrote:
27 Nov 2018, 18:12
Seems the message has evolved over the year.
I'm going with a "Both - And" scenario.
Growing up, I subconsciously believed that the restoration was continuing in affect because a) the church consists of imperfect, un-translated people. I also believed we had the most revelation from God (as in Reflexzero's quote and commonly found among church members).

If you look at some of the patterns of the ministry of Jesus Christ, the Protestant Reformation through the centuries, and the story of Joseph Smith - certain specific key principles are upheld, while other principles undergo drastic transformations (sparked by and being the source of cultural shifts among people).

Point 1:I feel that my faith transition has the potential to spark a personal restoration to speak - if I come out of it with any organized religion, it will of necessity be a restoration of belief in organizational authority (among other things). Much of my religious paradigm is undergoing dramatic transformation. President Nelson sees and is acting on opportunities to dramatically shift how the church operates, and nudge some of the principles.

Point 2: I choose to believe that God exists. The rest of the quote I am agnostic about at this time. BUT President Nelson appears to be providing a reassuring statement regarding unchanging principles - and that I can get behind. The fact that my unchanging principles are "Charity" and and that I owe it to the rest of humanity (and myself) to make ethical decisions (and figure out what those look like) would be a chagrin to the rest of the tribe. Even if (and in a sense especially if) God actually doesn't exist and is not involved in our lives, that doesn't let me off the hook from being as charitable to others (and myself) as I can be. It doesn't let me off the hook from the understanding that being human requires me to "play nice" with others (or at least try not to be stupid and irresponsible about some things).

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 28 Nov 2018, 09:50

I have no clue what he thinks. Change is refreshing for sure. I don't see change within rational boundaries as evidence of a restoration though. If he believes in a second coming in his lifetime, then that would qualify, as Christ was part of the original church, and that is missing. But I said earlier I have trouble believing in the second coming that never seems to come. Even the early church members (primitive church) believed it. We had GA's saying that some of the people who were living in the 1800's would see the second coming, and it never came. I had a stake president who said he believed the second coming might come even in the lifetime of his own children, and we are near retirement now.

I have greater faith in North Korea, or Russia or even US starting a nuclear war that ushers in destruction and mayhem, but I have trouble believing there will be a divine being in it, ushering in a new era like the scriptures tell us.

However, I have great faith in my own ignorance.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 28 Nov 2018, 12:02

After reading the thread I find myself wondering what "restoration" means to all parties involved. In context, what does "restoration" mean to Pte. Nelson?

Ministering
2 Hour Church
Hackles up over the label Mormons
Home church
Combined PH quorums

I wouldn't really call those things restorations. A more fitting label would be new programs/policies.

google's dictionary defines restoration as... aw jeez, there I go:

"the return of a hereditary monarch to a throne, a head of state to government, or a regime to power."

So you could include anything that prepares people for the second coming of Jesus as being a part of a "restoration." So there may be something to this whole second coming business.

To the youth in general conference in 2011:
October 2011 General Conference, Boyd K. Packer, Counsel to Youth wrote:Sometimes you might be tempted to think as I did from time to time in my youth: “The way things are going, the world’s going to be over with. The end of the world is going to come before I get to where I should be.” Not so! You can look forward to doing it right—getting married, having a family, seeing your children and grandchildren, maybe even great-grandchildren.
I've heard that Nelson is big on prepping for the second coming but now that I think about it, it's usually always 2nd hand, someone else saying that Nelson is focused on it. I didn't watch this most recent general conference, I'm waiting to have it read to me over coming months. Did Nelson hit the theme of the second coming in any of his talks?

Anyway, back on subject. "Restoration."

It's hard to tell what leaders mean when they say it. It could mean something as simple as the church growing in membership/size.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
— Henry David Thoreau