Inactive for months due to tithing. Can I still give my newborn a baby blessing with an expired reccomend?

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
Tyler Goodman

Re: Inactive for months due to tithing. Can I still give my newborn a baby blessing with an expired reccomend?

Post by Tyler Goodman » 15 Nov 2018, 18:31

Well I had a 12 hour shift Saturday night thanks to a 4 hour overtime hold. It's rare that I get overtime at all but needless to say I missed 9am church that Sunday after arriving home at 6am. Oof.

Thanks for the replies guys! I read the first 3 before that Sunday, and I'm about to read the rest. I'll update this thread with a more detailed response soon.

Kcrumb

Re: Inactive for months due to tithing. Can I still give my newborn a baby blessing with an expired reccomend?

Post by Kcrumb » 22 Nov 2018, 15:24

My husband and I haven’t paid tithing in a year, and our temple recommends have expired, but we continue to go to church every week. In that time my husband has baptised and confirmed my daughter, and the bishop didn’t bat an eye. I’m sure he is well aware that we don’t hold recommends and no longer pay tithing, but neither he or us has ever brought up the subject.
My dad didn’t pay tithing for most of my growing up years, and yet he performed baby blessings and baptisms for all 10 of his children.

I think it’s really heartbreaking that the church has put non tithe paying members into a position that they feel like they cannot attend church.

Kcrumb

Post by Kcrumb » 22 Nov 2018, 15:29

Also wanted to add, I know what you mean about the guilt though. I have a lot of hang ups about no longer paying tithing. I have basically stopped praying because I feel like because I’m not being obedient and paying my tithing, I’m not entitled to receive blessings or answers to my prayers. Typing that out, I know that sounds ridiculous, why would all of my blessings from Heavenly Father hinge on whether or not I pay tithing?? It doesn’t, but yet it’s been so ingrained in me, I just can’t get past it.

Tyler Goodman

Post by Tyler Goodman » 13 Jan 2019, 09:56

Well in theory I have the okay to do the baby blessing in the next hour or so in sacrament meeting. That was my understanding at least based on my attendance last week. Here's hoping that there is no last minute change that prevents me.

Thanks everyone I'll report back!

dande48

Post by dande48 » 13 Jan 2019, 17:03

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

mom3

Post by mom3 » 13 Jan 2019, 19:31

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 14 Jan 2019, 05:57

Good to hear.
It is said an Eastern monarch once charged his wise men to invent him a sentence to be ever in view, and which should be true and appropriate in all times and situations. They presented him the words, "And this too, shall pass away." How much it expresses! How chastening in the hour of pride! How consoling in the depths of affliction!
― Abraham Lincoln

Roy

Post by Roy » 14 Jan 2019, 11:58

So happy to hear this! We talk about "Leadership Roulette" and that can be a real thing but also many of our leaders genuinely want to be helpful and to facilitate what they perceive as our spiritual growth.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Tyler Goodman

Post by Tyler Goodman » 27 Jan 2019, 00:09

Well I'm happy to report that everything went well! It turned out to be a great experience! I have to admit I was a little nervous but it went by without anyone saying anything negative.

I've done pretty well at attending since the start of the new schedule in January. Which ended up revealing that I now have a new Bishop. The bishopric was changed back in July, and since I've only made it to Sunday school or priesthood the few times I went last year I never noticed. So this new bishop tried to contact me through his clerk twice during the end of last year, and I came up with any excuse possible for my wife and I to not meet up with him due to busy schedules (which was only true to an extent). The truth was I thought it was the previous bishop still and i was scared I was being called in with my wife to meet and get scolded for poor attendance and lack of paying tithing.

I was probably scared for no reason.

So I have a new bishop now and I'd like to try and get a current reccomend maybe by my birthday in April. But that means paying tithing again and I'm scared that no matter how I pay it might still be a problem that I'll get cornered over.

Any advice on getting the courage to pay tithing again?

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 27 Jan 2019, 11:02

I am happy that things seem to be working out for you.
Any advice on getting the courage to pay tithing again?
I'd say just jump in and pay what you feel comfortable with.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction