I May Throw Up...

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
AzWildCat24

Re: I May Throw Up...

Post by AzWildCat24 » 10 Oct 2018, 11:44

Well to them it really is a contest. They are literally trying to out Jesus everyone or they want everyone to see how faithful they are apparently. This same thing goes with those who post where they are going for their mission, create events for their mission farewell/homecomings. Or, I recently saw someone live streaming their sons mission call opening on Facebook. Leaders denounce this behavior. But sadly people are just trying to show how great they are and that's the end result of social media. Everyone wants to foster this image that their lives are so perfect.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 10 Oct 2018, 12:00

Or, in some cases, they want to share their joy with people who live too far away to gather at their house for the old-fashioned mission letter opening.

There are obvious examples of being pridefulness and religious competition, but, sometimes, what we see that way is nothing more than a benefit of modern technology. I prefer to take as charitable and understanding a view as possible.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl » 11 Oct 2018, 17:36

Here were my ruminations on the social media fast, which incidentally I only found out about via Twitter, so take that for what it's worth! https://wheatandtares.org/2018/10/09/ru ... men-girls/

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 12 Oct 2018, 04:08

A social media fast is a GOOD THING but not when regimented.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 12 Oct 2018, 07:42

I have no problem with a social media fast, in theory.

I have a huge problem with a social media fast requested exclusively of women.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 12 Oct 2018, 07:46

SamBee wrote:
12 Oct 2018, 04:08
A social media fast is a GOOD THING but not when regimented.
And that's a good point, Sam. When the AA came and trained our stake on ministering one of his main points for us was don't programize it. Likewise, Elder Cook gave a very similar warning when talking about the two hour block. ("We trust you to counsel together and to seek revelation for implementing these adjustments—while not looking beyond the mark or trying to regiment individuals or families.") Because the church is so used to everything being programmed, it's easy for us to want to continue to do that - but much of the time the opposite is what's actually needed. It's when we're doing things because we want to do them that we get the most benefit.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

mom3

Post by mom3 » 12 Oct 2018, 10:43

I have a huge problem with a social media fast requested exclusively of women.
Thing is, he could have chosen to make it an adult request, but he didn't. The excuse that the men didn't get it because there was no Priesthood meeting is bunk. He spoke at every session. The request should have been made to all adults during one of those. Not a singled out situation.

I agree we need balance and moderation. I will plan my own, when I feel the need for it.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 12 Oct 2018, 11:07

mom3 wrote:
12 Oct 2018, 10:43
The request should have been made to all adults during one of those. Not a singled out situation.
The request didn't have to be made at all. Just throwing that out there as a viable option. ;)
You can't break what's broken already.
- LeAnn Rimes

mom3

Post by mom3 » 12 Oct 2018, 11:11

The request didn't have to be made at all. Just throwing that out there as a viable option.
Amen.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 12 Oct 2018, 14:58

For the record I don't think it should have been women only.

But breaks from social media are a good thing. Facebook is full of passive-aggression and oneupmanship.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."