Thinking Outside the Box but Living Inside the Box

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Thinking Outside the Box but Living Inside the Box

Post by Curt Sunshine » 17 May 2018, 15:26

I had an interesting experience earlier this week at the elementary school where I currently am working. Something just hit me as an analogy that I want to share. I hope it makes sense, as I haven't had time to analyze it in-depth:

I was walking past the Speech Therapy room and saw the therapist sitting inside a cardboard box, playing with a very young, Special Education student who was standing outside the box. It was a unique, striking image.

When I saw the therapist later I asked her about how she came to be sitting inside the box. She said the student had seen the box, climbed in, and played for a few minutes. He then had climbed out, grabbed her leg, and tried to lift it into the box. He is almost completely non-verbal, but she realized he wanted her to have a turn playing in the box. Apparently, it was important to him that they share the enjoyment he had felt while in the box, so she climbed in and pretended to play while he watched happily.

We talk all the time about the importance of thinking outside the box, but we also tend to need a degree of stability in our lives that often comes only through a connection to people living solidly in the box. Explorers often return to the company of settlers long enough to see family, eat a home-cooked meal, sleep in a soft bed, and re-energize before they leave for their next adventure. Kites only fly properly when they are attached to a string that "grounds" them.

I definitely tend to think outside the box, but I live solidly in the box, generally speaking. I have worked on developing that delicate balance for many years, and I see it as a manifestation of "moderation in all things". Although it is a difficult balancing act at times, the balance it provides is important to me.

I don't know exactly how this might apply to any individual at the site, but I do know it was important for that young child whose life is far outside the box to be able to be in the box for a short time and to have someone else who is solidly in the box available to help him with his outside-the-box issues.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Rumin8

Re: Thinking Outside the Box but Living Inside the Box

Post by Rumin8 » 17 May 2018, 16:11

This is profound, and worth thinking about.

With my thoughts currently being monopolized by a serious change to my status quo, I equate the church to be the box. I know like most here, I place myself firmly out of the box, but with most my daily interactions to be with people inside the box. Maybe it isn't enough to accept that while I feel like I have no business being inside the box, I do need to step in and take a turn inside the box from time to time.
"Moderation in all things, especially moderation." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Be excellent to each other." - Abraham Lincoln to Bill & Ted

Roy

Re: Thinking Outside the Box but Living Inside the Box

Post by Roy » 17 May 2018, 16:22

Good thoughts Curt. I shall think on them for a bit.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13