Ignorance was bliss

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
mom3

Re: Ignorance was bliss

Post by mom3 » 16 May 2018, 19:24

Fwiw, ignorance is never bliss in the fullest dictionary definition. It is comforting and laziness-inducing and easy and deflective and content, but it isn't utter joy or supreme happiness, imo.
This reminds me of something my husband read on LDS reddit. (not exmo). Everyone was cheering the new Ministering deal. And a fairly visible contributor asked the board, "So listening to the hoopla here, are you really happy?" The point was, all these believers had likely gone along "being satisfied with HT and VT status quo" but suddenly a change from elsewhere, and they stepped out of their stupor and were rejoicing. So were they happy before?

The new program is likely just a name change. We will likely fall back to lazy habits and before we know it, there will be new markers and so on. And we will retreat to routine. Or we can embrace options and make something of anything before us. Yes there will be resistance, push back, etc., but enough nuanced believer's have proven that one can be different and remain "happy" even with full disclosure of the unsavory parts. You just get to navigate differently. Maturely.

As our own Hawkgrrl calls it, "Becoming an Adult with God."
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

dande48

Re: Ignorance was bliss

Post by dande48 » 16 May 2018, 20:12

I'd say bliss comes more from not fretting about the truth so much when it turns out to be something we don't like. Beyond that, I think it comes from acknowledging how ignorant we still are, and probably wrong about so many things... and realizing that's okay.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket