I am an adult of God

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
SamBee

I am an adult of God

Post by SamBee » 06 May 2018, 07:05

Someone else came up with this phrase, but I love it. It's also a reference to one of my least favorite hymns, because I don't have a family down here.

But when I look at it, I've been in the church long enough to be an adult. Unfortunately I spent most of my church childhood away, meaning there was a bit of a gap.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

DarkJedi

Re: I am an adult of God

Post by DarkJedi » 06 May 2018, 10:33

I like it too, and I believe I first encountered it here. To me it indicates that unlike a child I can think and decide for myself. I don't need to be "taught" everything, I can learn and discover for myself. And it evokes Paul in 1 Cor 13:11 (NRSV):
When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child; when I became an adult, I put an end to childish ways.
And I don't think this takes anything away from Christ's admonition to be childlike.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

mom3

Re: I am an adult of God

Post by mom3 » 06 May 2018, 12:41

If memory serves, that is a Hawkgrrl iteration. I've loved it from the day I heard it. Like all things balance is a key in there. Old enough to ask questions and discuss. Childlike enough to accept. Including a Faith Crisis.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman