Everybody Poops

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Everybody Poops

Post by Curt Sunshine » 02 May 2018, 14:12

Many years ago, I complained to a friend about an educational leader. I thought he had some serious issues that impacted my willingness to learn from him. My friend looked at me, shook his head, and said something both pithy and profound:
"Everybody poops, and it usually stinks."
Our culture tends to ignore that simple fact when it comes to esteemed leaders / role models. We put them on pedestals and ignore the fact that they are just as human as the rest of us. We do this especially in religion and politics.

At the risk of offending someone, Jesus of Nazareth cried as a baby, and he spit up on Mary, and he burped and farted and pooped. I'm pretty certain he didn't spit up on Mary when he became an adult, but I also am certain he kept doing all of the other things on the list. I know he pooped, and I'm positive it usually stank.

Life is messy, and people are messy.

The type of charity described in 1 Corinthians 13 understands the simple fact that everybody poops - and all its applications to other aspects of living messy lives. Of course, there are differences that we can highlight, and doing so is important sometimes, but accepting everyone for the stinkers they are and can't help being is important. We might have to plug our noses occasionally, or often, but expecting anything else is unrealistic and uncharitable.

As a general rule, only those who don't poop or whose poop smells like labender potpourri have a high ground.

First cast stones and all that jazz.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: Everybody Poops

Post by Curt Sunshine » 02 May 2018, 14:13

[Admin Note]: Feel free to expand in almost any way you desire. Just keep it relatively clean - and, yes, I understand the irony of that request. :lol:
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 02 May 2018, 15:48

Here's a song to act as a mnemonic to help you remember the principle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQTW7Pd1vqc

Hey, you started it.
And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold
-Jesus

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 02 May 2018, 16:21

Some people are anal retentive and are full of ...

dande48

Post by dande48 » 02 May 2018, 16:28

Michel de Montaigne, from the 1500s, wrote a collection titled "The Essays". He had plenty to say on the subject.
"Kings and philosophers [poop], and so do ladies."
He had quite a few other gems.
"On the highest throne in the world, we are seated, still, upon our [bottoms]."
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

NightSG

Post by NightSG » 03 May 2018, 13:16

nibbler wrote:
02 May 2018, 15:48
Here's a song to act as a mnemonic to help you remember the principle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQTW7Pd1vqc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mlWrxIcm28

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 03 May 2018, 18:07

At the risk of offending someone, Jesus of Nazareth cried as a baby, and he spit up on Mary, and he burped and farted and pooped. I'm pretty certain he didn't spit up on Mary when he became an adult, but I also am certain he kept doing all of the other things on the list. I know he pooped, and I'm positive it usually stank.
That leads us into very weird theological territory about the nature of Jesus.

Jesus suffered human frailties, but did he ever really get ill? Did he heal himself? And if he was free from sin, does that include being well behaved as a small child?

According to RC doctrine, saints' corpses barely rot and smell sweet... so would saints smell bad or Jesus? Who know.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

dande48

Post by dande48 » 03 May 2018, 19:43

SamBee wrote:
03 May 2018, 18:07
That leads us into very weird theological territory about the nature of Jesus.

Jesus suffered human frailties, but did he ever really get ill? Did he heal himself? And if he was free from sin, does that include being well behaved as a small child?
Have you ever looked into the Gnostic gospels? The "Infancy Gospel of Thomas", which was written somwhere between 80-180AD, gives quite the picture of Christ as a little child. Spoliers: He was not well behaved.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 04 May 2018, 04:00

dande48 wrote:
03 May 2018, 19:43
Have you ever looked into the Gnostic gospels? The "Infancy Gospel of Thomas", which was written somwhere between 80-180AD, gives quite the picture of Christ as a little child. Spoliers: He was not well behaved.
They made a TV show about it:

:angel:
And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold
-Jesus

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 04 May 2018, 04:43

I've read that stuff. Completely different character. The infancy gospels are amongst the most dubious... and I think the nativity scenes in the Gospels are the most mythological part of the canonical gospels.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."