Pathways Degree Program being discontinued

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
AmyJ

Re: Pathways Degree Program being discontinued

Post by AmyJ » 03 May 2018, 05:23

Roy wrote:
02 May 2018, 14:46
I went through California Coast University. It is nationally accredited but not regionally accredited. From what I understand national accreditation meets the minimum standards for federal jobs (meaning that if the job you are applying for requires a degree and you have a degree from a nationally accredited school, you meet that minimum standard). However, there are big differences between national and regional accreditation and you should be aware of the limitations of not having a regionally accredited degree.

I believe Curt would warn you against going nationally accredited. I believe what you should do can depend on what you want to do with your degree. In some sense you can get what you pay for. Anyway, I believe your request was for referrals to regionally accredited online schools. Therefore I will get off my soapbox.

I am sorry to see the Pathways program go. From my understanding it was a bargain and a true service to the people enrolled in the program.
So what are the acronmyns for national and regional accreditation respectively?

AmyJ

Post by AmyJ » 03 May 2018, 05:24

DarkJedi wrote:
02 May 2018, 15:04
From what I understand Roy Pathways itself is not being cut nor are all degrees/certificates. Just some are being cut.
Correct. The program itself is not being cut - just the 2 programs I am seriously interested in.

AmyJ

Post by AmyJ » 03 May 2018, 05:32

Roadrunner wrote:
02 May 2018, 15:51
Hi AmyJ,
That really sucks. I'm sorry you're going through this. Unfortunately I can't find a list anywhere of which programs were cut. There seems to be a decent list of programs that are still available. I have a couple of suggestions / questions.
  • Did BYU-PW (Pathways) give you any options about transferring to a somewhat similar degree or certificate?
  • Can you ask any BYU-PW advisor what options you have? If there is a similar degree or certificate you may be able to continue in Pathways without losing much time.
  • Where are you located? You can direct message me if you like. Arizona State University is expanding its relationship with BYU-PW and I wonder if you could take ASU classes either online or on campus.
  • Are there any local community colleges that might accept some transferred classes?
  • If you can transfer classes, for example general education classes within BYU-PW, honestly I'd consider pick a somewhat related degree or certificate and run with it. Some degrees are flexible and you just have to get a degree in something vaguely related. For example jobs looking for a business degree would probably take business, finance, accounting, marketing, CIS, and economics. Nursing and web design and some others, not so much so that doesn't always work. I'm not sure what you're going into.
1. The Pathways classes won't transfer anyplace else. I can still apply for BYU-Idaho Online in the fall as a Pathways student if I complete the last trimester successfully and find a degree program that I can work with.
2. I am located in the Lansing, MI area.
3. Because I have an A.A. already, I am transferring into a 4 year program. I wanted an online degree program because I work full time and have family responsibilities.

AmyJ

Post by AmyJ » 03 May 2018, 05:46

Today I will work on following SD's and CS's advice and looking into what I want career-wise, and seeing what is available in terms of online degrees. I am planning to attend the Pathways class tonight.

My husband and I talked about our options, and he understands about the choices we face.
He gave me a blessing [story for a different thread].
He also took an hour to do the dishes to make my night easier.

PLUS SIDE:
  • I won't need to abide by the TR standards for a church school endorsement. While I don't consider myself a TBM fraud (mostly because I think/pray/and strive to act for my heart to be in the right place), it would be nice not to have to dodge those bullets.
MINUS SIDE:
  • Re-organizing steps in the process.
  • Financial impact.

dande48

Post by dande48 » 03 May 2018, 08:41

AmyJ wrote:
03 May 2018, 05:22
I currently run the technical support help desk for a grants management software company. It is draining, but I have some flexibility when not taking calls, and the pay I feel is generous for what I actually do.
The beautiful thing about IT, or any computer work, is that it is more about what you know and what you can do, more than any degree you could have. Most degrees have very little to do with the job you get. At best, I feel a BS/BA is just another hoop to jump through. If you want to go the Computer Science/Developer route, instead of spending another couple years in college, you can easily get a good career by taking a few cheap/free online courses and building up a solid portfolio. I highly recommend checking out Udemy. Also, there are plenty of bootcamps that have a job guarantee, and pack plenty of training while padding your portfolio in a 12-16 week period for relatively cheap. If you can find and manage an in-person bootcamp course (keep in mind, most require 70-80 hours a week), that'd be the way to go.

There are also a number of online coding bootcamps, that also provide a more at-your-own-pace training and also come with a job guarantee. The two that come to mind are Viking Code School and Flatiron. Flatiron gives half-off scholarships to all women who apply, which as a man kind of erks me, but as a woman I'd recommend taking full advantage of. Both schools also have free prep courses (200-300 hours), so you can try things out and see if its a good fit.

If you can get the right training and have a few good projects under your belt, the pay is phenomenal, you'll always be in demand for work, and depending on who you work for, you get to work flex hours and often from home. In addition, you can take up freelance work for extra cash.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

AmyJ

Post by AmyJ » 03 May 2018, 09:20

Hi Dande,
What I mean is I am the person they talk to when the user forgets their password or mis-types it, or forgets how to run a specific part of the software.

I am not nearly as tech-savy as my resume implies:)

dande48

Post by dande48 » 03 May 2018, 09:24

AmyJ wrote:
03 May 2018, 09:20
I am not nearly as tech-savy as my resume implies:)
But you can be. ;)
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

Roy

Post by Roy » 03 May 2018, 10:56

Amy,

The following website offered a good comparison of Pros and Cons of nationally Vs. regionally accredited schools.

https://www.geteducated.com/regional-vs ... e-colleges
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

BeJoyful

Post by BeJoyful » 03 May 2018, 15:29

Can't read through the thread because I'm on the run, but I believe WGU has your program. It's all online, work at your own pace, and cheap. I got my degree last year, it was a great school for me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 03 May 2018, 16:52

How could I forget Western Governors University? Good option.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken