Pathways Degree Program being discontinued

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
AmyJ

Pathways Degree Program being discontinued

Post by AmyJ » 02 May 2018, 13:39

I got a cute little email today stating that both degrees I was looking at taking are being discontinued...

So I have no idea what I am going to do. CORRECTION: I need to continue my education, but I will need to look into other ways of doing so.

It boils down to the following:
1. Pick a different BYU-Idaho Online degree and pray the powers that be don't yank that one too.
2. Find a different online degree program.

Any assistance provided by educational gurus here is helpful please :P

I am looking for information on how to locate an online program that is accredited that I can afford (for starters)...

Sorry for the disjointed thoughts, still reeling...

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: Pathways Degree Program being discontinued

Post by Curt Sunshine » 02 May 2018, 13:56

I haven't checked their prices, but Walden University has a good reputation in the online education world, as does Southern New Hampshire University. Grand Canyon University had some good online programs a few years ago, but I don't know if that has changed. They are big on preaching the prosperity Gospel, which really bugged me, so I would suggest the other two first.

You also might want to check Utah State Unversity and Southern Utah University. I have no idea about any online degrees, but they should be relatively cheap.

Avoid the University of Phoenix.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

dande48

Post by dande48 » 02 May 2018, 14:00

Just curious, what degree were you hoping for? What else would you be interested in doing?

If you are interested in web development, trucking/logistics, or spreading manure on a large scale (it pays very well), I might be able to help you out.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

Roy

Post by Roy » 02 May 2018, 14:26

The pathways degree program was not that old. Does anybody know why it is being discontinued? Is it financial (as in it was not covering expenses)? or possibly watering down the perceived value of a BYU degree?

Anybody have any insight?
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Roy

Post by Roy » 02 May 2018, 14:46

AmyJ wrote:
02 May 2018, 13:39
I am looking for information on how to locate an online program that is accredited that I can afford (for starters)...
I went through California Coast University. It is nationally accredited but not regionally accredited. From what I understand national accreditation meets the minimum standards for federal jobs (meaning that if the job you are applying for requires a degree and you have a degree from a nationally accredited school, you meet that minimum standard). However, there are big differences between national and regional accreditation and you should be aware of the limitations of not having a regionally accredited degree.

I believe Curt would warn you against going nationally accredited. I believe what you should do can depend on what you want to do with your degree. In some sense you can get what you pay for. Anyway, I believe your request was for referrals to regionally accredited online schools. Therefore I will get off my soapbox.

I am sorry to see the Pathways program go. From my understanding it was a bargain and a true service to the people enrolled in the program.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 02 May 2018, 15:04

From what I understand Roy Pathways itself is not being cut nor are all degrees/certificates. Just some are being cut.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Roadrunner

Post by Roadrunner » 02 May 2018, 15:51

Hi AmyJ,
That really sucks. I'm sorry you're going through this. Unfortunately I can't find a list anywhere of which programs were cut. There seems to be a decent list of programs that are still available. I have a couple of suggestions / questions.
  • Did BYU-PW (Pathways) give you any options about transferring to a somewhat similar degree or certificate?
  • Can you ask any BYU-PW advisor what options you have? If there is a similar degree or certificate you may be able to continue in Pathways without losing much time.
  • Where are you located? You can direct message me if you like. Arizona State University is expanding its relationship with BYU-PW and I wonder if you could take ASU classes either online or on campus.
  • Are there any local community colleges that might accept some transferred classes?
  • If you can transfer classes, for example general education classes within BYU-PW, honestly I'd consider pick a somewhat related degree or certificate and run with it. Some degrees are flexible and you just have to get a degree in something vaguely related. For example jobs looking for a business degree would probably take business, finance, accounting, marketing, CIS, and economics. Nursing and web design and some others, not so much so that doesn't always work. I'm not sure what you're going into.

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 03 May 2018, 03:47

SilentDawning wrote:
03 May 2018, 03:45
AmyJ wrote:
02 May 2018, 13:39
I got a cute little email today stating that both degrees I was looking at taking are being discontinued...

So I have no idea what I am going to do. CORRECTION: I need to continue my education, but I will need to look into other ways of doing so.

It boils down to the following:
1. Pick a different BYU-Idaho Online degree and pray the powers that be don't yank that one too.
2. Find a different online degree program.

Any assistance provided by educational gurus here is helpful please :P

Sorry for the disjointed thoughts, still reeling...
Can you clarify -- are they leaving you hanging mid stream? Meaning, they aren't "teaching out" the program so you can at least finish? Or are they cancelling the program leaving you with nothing but a few courses and credits?

And did they provide options, such as some kind of articulation agreement with say, BYU-I?
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"Stage 5 is where you no longer believe the gospel as its literally or traditionally taught. Nonetheless, you find your own way to be active and at peace within it". -- SD

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1576

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 03 May 2018, 03:51

I work in this field....I have a few suggestions when looking for a program...

1) Do a search on career builder for the positions you are interested in. Look at what degrees they are requiring. Too many people pursue a program and then find the ladder is leaning against the wrong wall.

2) Go for Regional Accreditation - National Accreditation isn't as respected as Regional Accreditation.

3) Look for programmatic accreditation as well. Some programs have programmatic accreditation -- for Business it's ACBSP or AACSB, for Project Management, it's PMI-GAC accreditation, and for Electronics Engineering it's TAC of ABET. Not that those are your programs, but those are ones I'm familiar with.

What degrees are you interested in? You can private message me if you aren't comfortable sharing details like this in the open forum.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"Stage 5 is where you no longer believe the gospel as its literally or traditionally taught. Nonetheless, you find your own way to be active and at peace within it". -- SD

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1576

AmyJ

Post by AmyJ » 03 May 2018, 05:22

dande48 wrote:
02 May 2018, 14:00
Just curious, what degree were you hoping for? What else would you be interested in doing?
I need to increase my generic AA from 18 years ago to a BA or a BS.

I am passionate about healthcare, mental health/developmental processes, and helping others. My current background is Digital Media/Grants Management software, so I have been thinking of something along those lines. I don't want to be a counselor, but maybe an office manager in a counseling center would be cool.

I saw myself getting a BS in Healthcare Administration maybe minoring in Public Health and saw myself becoming a program coordinator for programs in the mental health/employment/governmental agencies areas.
dande48 wrote:
02 May 2018, 14:00
If you are interested in web development, trucking/logistics, or spreading manure on a large scale (it pays very well), I might be able to help you out.
I currently run the technical support help desk for a grants management software company. It is draining, but I have some flexibility when not taking calls, and the pay I feel is generous for what I actually do.