Pathways Degree Program being discontinued

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
SamBee

Re: Pathways Degree Program being discontinued

Post by SamBee » 03 May 2018, 17:57

What is Pathways exactly?
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

AmyJ

Post by AmyJ » 04 May 2018, 05:15

It's a program where you pay for and attend 2 classes for 3 trimesters (1 General Life Skills class, 2 Book of Mormon classes, 1 English class, 1 Math class, and 1 class focused on the teachings as Jesus Christ), and then you can attend BYU-Idaho online for $69 per credit. This is crazy good pricing, because it looks like the average is between 150-300 or so per credit for online classes.

CAVEATS:
  • The Pathways program classes are not regular college classes, so scholarship money/Pell grants do not apply for paying for tuition. If you don't have the resources to pay for the classes, you can talk to your bishop and see if funds can be made available theoretically.
  • There is a limited list of degrees available - and it seems to have some variance involved in keeping degrees on that list (still bitter).
  • During the English class, you can be partnered to be a language partner with someone who is learning to speak English.It should work out to 30 minutes 1 day a week via Skype.

AmyJ

Post by AmyJ » 04 May 2018, 12:54

Thanks all!

I have read and re-read this thread for the information and support I found here.

I have 3 good options I think going forward:
1. Pathways into a BYU-Idaho Online Marriage & Family Relations degree.
2. Walden University - Public Health/Healthcare Admin B.S. degree
3. Western Governors University - Healthcare Management B.S. degree

I hope to make a decision this weekend with my husband.

Thanks again!
Amy J.

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 05 May 2018, 10:54

AmyJ wrote:
04 May 2018, 12:54
Thanks all!

I have read and re-read this thread for the information and support I found here.

I have 3 good options I think going forward:
1. Pathways into a BYU-Idaho Online Marriage & Family Relations degree.
2. Walden University - Public Health/Healthcare Admin B.S. degree
3. Western Governors University - Healthcare Management B.S. degree

I hope to make a decision this weekend with my husband.

Thanks again!
Amy J.
Western Governors had a big lawsuit against them from the government -- I would check out articles and their financial stability.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"Stage 5 is where you no longer believe the gospel as its literally or traditionally taught. Nonetheless, you find your own way to be active and at peace within it". -- SD

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1576