Urgent Request for Input

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
Old-Timer
Site Admin

Re: Urgent Request for Input

Post by Old-Timer »

Thanks, again, everyone, for your input.

I need to submit it tonight. I decided to focus on scriptural references at this point, so I am using only one statement from an individual. I am going to begin the first session with the following from Elder Wirthlin's “Concern for the One” (which, I am sure, will not surprise anyone here):
The Lord did not people the earth with a vibrant orchestra of personalities only to value the piccolos of the world. Every instrument is precious and adds to the complex beauty of the symphony. All of Heavenly Father’s children are different in some degree, yet each has his (or her) own beautiful sound that adds depth and richness to the whole.
Right now, I have the following, and I am looking at the other suggestions you provided:

1) a general introduction to Fowler's Stages of Faith
Moses 6:56: "And it is given unto them to know good from evil; wherefore they are agents unto themselves"

2) understanding common crisis categories (historical, doctrinal, cultural, social, etc.)
1 Corinthians 12:25-26: "That there should be no schism in the body; but that the members should have the same care one for another. And whether one member suffer, all the members suffer with it; or one member be honoured, all the members rejoice with it."

Doctrine & Covenants 109:7: "And as all have not faith, seek ye diligently and teach one another words of wisdom; yea, seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom, seek learning even by study and also by faith."

3) understanding Stage 4 (particularly as a gateway to Stage 5 or entrenchment in Stage 3)
Alma 32: 41-43, focused on patience: " But if ye will nourish the word, yea, nourish the tree as it beginneth to grow, by your faith with great diligence, and with patience, looking forward to the fruit thereof, it shall take root; and behold it shall be a tree springing up unto everlasting life. And because of your diligence and your faith and your patience with the word in nourishing it, that it may take root in you, behold, by and by ye shall pluck the fruit thereof, which is most precious, which is sweet above all that is sweet, and which is white above all that is white, yea, and pure above all that is pure; and ye shall feast upon this fruit even until ye are filled, that ye hunger not, neither shall ye thirst. Then, my brethren, ye shall reap the rewards of your faith, and your diligence, and patience, and long-suffering, waiting for the tree to bring forth fruit unto you."
4) faith crisis coping skills
1 Corinthians 13:4-8: "Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil; Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth; Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things. Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away."
5) navigating interpersonal tension caused by changed or differing faith constructs
Moses 4:18: "And the man said: The woman thou gavest me, and commandest that she should remain with me, she gave me of the fruit of the tree and I did eat." I Corinthians 8:13: "Wherefore, if meat make my brother to offend, I will eat no flesh while the world standeth, lest I make my brother to offend."
6) redefining "perfection" and "Zion"
Matthew 5:48, focused on perfection being completion, wholeness, and full development: "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect." John 14:27: "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."

Finnish with Elder Wirthlin's quote used to start the sessions:
The Lord did not people the earth with a vibrant orchestra of personalities only to value the piccolos of the world. Every instrument is precious and adds to the complex beauty of the symphony. All of Heavenly Father’s children are different in some degree, yet each has his (or her) own beautiful sound that adds depth and richness to the whole.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning »

Wow! Some good things here I am seeing some of the scriptures in a new way -- like the personal tension that Adam and Eve faced. That one is particularly powerful as it shows that to navigate the personal tension in commandments, there is often sacrifice. But out of that sacrifice, comes growth.

Also, that being charitable as people in faith crisis is a good thing. We can easily be negative and harsh with people in the church due to their behavior, but the onus is on us to be as chartiable to them as we would like them to be to us...

Some good thoughts Curt!
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

"The wise man has the power" -- adapted from What A Fool Believes -- The Doobie Brothers
mom3

Post by mom3 »

I think it's beautiful. And the LDS scriptures can easily be switched out for other ones. Nice job.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman