Bearing Testimony (ish)

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
AmyJ

Bearing Testimony (ish)

Post by AmyJ » 18 Apr 2018, 10:04

This past week we had our last Pathways class for this trimester. Our teacher was not going to be there (cancelled 2-3 days ahead of the day), so our Pathways missionaries said we would take the class time to bear our testimonies of the Book of Mormon.

I had an A in the class before the last session - so I could have stayed home. That would have been the comfortable thing to do.
I didn't stay home because a fellow student and I car-pool to take 2 others to class - and she was out that week. So if I cancelled, then those 2 would have to figure out a car pool system - and I don't know if they have the financial resources to do so. I guess when I did the cost-benefit analysis, I figured that my choice to provide them with rides and the personal happiness I get from that was worth the discomfort/uncertainty of being in that meeting and in that situation. Hindsight being 20/20, I still stand by that statement :D

There were a lot of heartfelt statements and some tears. It felt like a cross between Fast & Testimony meeting and what I gather Christmas feels like when you visit family (we try really hard not to because NO ONE in my family travels well, and the executive function needed to make that happen is not readily available). I made sure the tissues were on hand for those who needed them. When it was my turn, I talked about the principles of Charity I learned from the Book of Mormon. I closed with a statement that left them laughing. I know it wasn't a traditional "testimony" - I wound up leaving off the closing words (in part because I wasn't comfortable including them), and it focused on "what I learned and am applying about Charity from the Book of Mormon" full stop. However, no one gave me an evil look. The newly called bishopric counselor also attending (and presiding for the night) made a joke that at least 3 of his Sacrament Talks were written now (due to us at Pathways) - and I would be really surprised if mine wasn't one of them.

I guess I share this because I don't know what to make of the experience, and it has meaning to me. It showed me that I can follow a cultural standard while being authentic to myself in a small-group situation.

Roy

Re: Bearing Testimony (ish)

Post by Roy » 18 Apr 2018, 13:49

Wonderful Amy! Thank you for sharing. These sorts of small successes are to be applauded! :clap:

Oh yeah! Congrats on the "A" too. :thumbup:
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

longbottom

Re: Bearing Testimony (ish)

Post by longbottom » 18 Apr 2018, 15:46

Wow, this is really good Amy! While my faith crisis started a year ago, I guess you could say "it all came together" just within the last few weeks. My work schedule has kept me away from church about half the time recently, and I haven't been to church at all since I've come to some very serious conclusions about my faith. But ultimately, my goal is to enjoy the companionship of the saints who I love, as long as I can be who I am. But, as Curt seems to be good at while being in his bishopric, it's an important skillset in my condition to "talk Mormonese".