Ministering - The New Buzz Word

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
mom3

Ministering - The New Buzz Word

Post by mom3 » 16 Apr 2018, 19:03

May it die quickly.

I am so on board with the HT/VT changes. I get that the transition may be bumpy.

BUT - the sudden use of "ministering" as the buzz word for everything is making me choke. It's in every prayer. All ninety of them that we say on Sundays. It's the answer to combating the evil in the world, destroying Satan, and guilt-ing you into Temple Attendance. If you do genealogy - you are ministering. If you attend church - you are ministering. If you park next to another member of the church in Costco - You are ministering.

I hope it's just a temporary trend in my local area, and that it will die down, if not I may scream.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

afterall

Re: Ministering - The New Buzz Word

Post by afterall » 16 Apr 2018, 19:53

When I first heard it, I was so happy. I thought...finally! We are getting to the heart of the gospel. Of course, we are going overboard now. Why do we do this......

longbottom

Post by longbottom » 16 Apr 2018, 20:08

afterall wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 19:53
When I first heard it, I was so happy. I thought...finally! We are getting to the heart of the gospel. Of course, we are going overboard now. Why do we do this......
Why do we do this about every. single. policy change or new program? Because things are so stale in this church that we have no choice but to go overboard on every "revelation" that the prophet has.

Regardless, I'm also one who loves ANY change. Except when they made us start cleaning the building.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 16 Apr 2018, 20:12

Fwiw, it is going well in our ward.

That doesn't help in yours, but I suspect the central issue in many places is less the wonderful wording and more the myopic workers.

Why do we do it? Our culture encourages obsessive-compulsive excessiveness. Seriously, look up the textbook, clinical definition. It might as well have "devout Mormon" (or Catholic) in parentheses.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 17 Apr 2018, 04:34

You're reminding me of me from... 4 years ago!?!?!? Has it been that long?

Has hastening the work become a gospel hobby?

Oh. My. Goodness. The time period where someone said hasten the work at least once per 10 minutes lasted nearly 6 months. After that it tapered down to only a half dozen mentions during the 3 hour block and that lasted for another year. I still hear it from time to time and I still absolutely hate hearing it. It's like a Hootie and the Blowfish song, not to bad, maybe even good... but they played it on the radio so often that I can't stand hearing it anymore.

Lately I've been skipping the 3rd hour so I've missed a lot of the chatter about ministering. I suspect PH opening exercises would be the natural time for the subject to come up. Instead of the EQP announcing, "It's the last Sunday of the month, be sure to do your home teaching." I suspect it's, "It's the last Sunday of the month, be sure to do your home ministering."

Why all the mentions? I agree with longbottom. Members are so starved for something new to break up the monotony that they hyperfocus on the new thing until it becomes monotonous. It's like eating nothing but white bread for a few decades then getting your hands on some naan. You love the naan, it's different, it tastes better... but then you eat it exclusively every meal until you're sick of it and it becomes the new white bread for the next few decades.
Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.
When the soul lies down in that grass the world is too full to talk about.
― Rumi

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 17 Apr 2018, 06:26

I get what you all are saying and won't deny that there has been an uptick in the use of the term, even when some don't really get what it means yet.
"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
(I would have put have put in the meme but my work computer is restricted on some things.)

I've mentioned that my SP seems to have been connected on ministering way before this happened. He's literally been talking about it for 4 years. My first HC meeting he shared the following article about it:
https://www.lds.org/ensign/2014/03/mini ... s?lang=eng
The truth is I think the GAs have been talking about it a long time as well, without necessarily using the word.
Frankly, I'm really happy now that I can say in SM or PH that home teaching was broken and not be considered a heretic. I shared this on another thread, but the week after GC in PH one of the old stalwarts (very orthodox) said that now he'd actually contact the inactives on his list because before it didn't count if he didn't actually see them. Tell me that wasn't broken.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

mom3

Post by mom3 » 17 Apr 2018, 11:02

Nibbler wrote - Lately I've been skipping the 3rd hour so I've missed a lot of the chatter about ministering.
Ironically mine wasn't in 3rd hour. I expected it there. It was in Sacrament Meeting. Every prayer repeated it twice. The Dry Council and Stake Auxiliary Speaker's both applied it to everything. Their topic wasn't even ministering. Then Sunday School got all busy throwing it around.
Dark Jedi wrote -
I've mentioned that my SP seems to have been connected on ministering way before this happened. He's literally been talking about it for 4 years.
My ward has been for a couple of years. Our Bishop was put into our brand new SP when it was established a few months ago. The SP is big on truly caring for people - I think our Bishop added the ministering on a ward level to the SP direction. So it isn't new. We just didn't use the word. We used words like caring, reaching out, serving, connecting, interacting. I like them. I like Ministering until it becomes cliche. Then we totally forget what it is. Now it's a noun, verb, adjective, adverb. Lord help me while the tide rises.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 17 Apr 2018, 11:37

This is where I wish I knew German because I feel like there's one word to sum up all this...

We create celebrity so we can have someone to imitate.

The prophet is the biggest celebrity in the church. He says minister, we all say minister.
Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.
When the soul lies down in that grass the world is too full to talk about.
― Rumi

Rumin8

Post by Rumin8 » 17 Apr 2018, 21:30

I feel the same way about “tender mercies.” It won’t be long until I feel the same way about “ministering.” Sometimes I feel like church is a kinder, gentler version of the Rameantum. Full of buzzwords and saying the same things week in and week out.

That said, my last two weeks of church since General conference have almost been delightful. A new prophet has blown in a bit of fresh air into our stale, hominigized church meetings.

A final note: I’ve been very amused observing the “new and improved” elders quorum. The older dudes are trying much harder to stay awake, and the younger dads aren’t pinching their kids so they can go roam the halls. We’ll see how long it lasts!

Roy

Post by Roy » 18 Apr 2018, 08:52

Rumin8 wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 21:30
I feel the same way about “tender mercies.”
Tender Mercies is one of those clear verbal markers that the speaker is LDS. It is interesting that Elder Bednar almost created a new definition for this term. In scriptural usage "Tender Mercies" seems to be more or less synonymous with compassion or loving kindness.

Elder Bednar used the term to mean something much more specific. According to Elder Bednar God has interwoven small personalized messages into the fabric of life and events. These messages are inconspicuous and unexceptional enough to be meaningless or pure random chance to anyone but their intended recipient. "Tender Mercies" becomes a shorthand for this specific type of blessing.

https://www.mormon.org/blog/tender-mercies-what
Elder Bednar defined the tender mercies of the Lord as “the very personal and individualized blessings, strength, protection, assurances, guidance, loving-kindnesses, consolation, support, and spiritual gifts which we receive from and because of and through the Lord Jesus Christ.” Further, he taught that “the tender mercies of the Lord are real and that they do not occur randomly or merely by coincidence. Often, the Lord’s timing of His tender mercies helps us to both discern and acknowledge them.”

Recognizing Tender Mercies

Take time to recognize the Lord’s tender mercies in your life. Have you experienced these or similar tender mercies?
•A phone call from a friend at the exact moment you needed to talk
•A text to brighten your day
•A song on the radio that spoke peace to your mind
•A visit with a family member that clarified indecision
•A thought that solved a problem
•A story that provided an answer
•A service that relieved a struggle
•A trial that deepened your ability to empathize
•An answer to a heartfelt prayer
•A strength you didn’t know you had
•Counsel that offered comfort
•Forgiveness you needed to heal

These and countless other moments are more than mere coincidence. They are the tender mercies of the Lord. As we exercise faith in Jesus Christ and humbly choose to follow Him, He will abundantly bless us with His tender mercies.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13