Worth it?

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
harmon-y

Worth it?

Post by harmon-y » 08 Apr 2018, 22:56

I'll launch right in. I am the primary music director of our Spanish branch and my family usually arrives 30min late or more to sacrament so I have been able to avoid many of the uncomfortable things that would keep me from church. However, this coming week is branch conference and our primary president told us that the primary leaders want us to prepare a testimony on the BOM and how sharing it affected us. I have been struggling with stuff much deeper than that book lately and feel no connection to it. If it was my primary leader asking I would say just skip me. But I dont want to become the next project nor do I know who will be directing the meeting to request to be left out of the activity. Should I just recite a story from my past when I was a "good Mormon" or any other ideas from anyone on how to avoid this without it being obvious? Thanks and thanks for all of the other messages and comments I have followed over the years to keep me sane-ish :)

LookingHard

Re: Worth it?

Post by LookingHard » 09 Apr 2018, 04:39

Welcome and thanks for posting. I wish more lurkers would as I think it helps them and also everyone on this site.

I would just give a testimony on what you can - even totally non church stuff - and have it come from the heart. What makes you feel God? Tell of when you felt loved or when you were able to help someone. Just ignore the BOM part. If some SOB calls you out on that, just say that you followed the spirit and forgot about that part.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 09 Apr 2018, 04:56

If the question is how sharing the BoM affected you, if you have shared it you could talk about how you felt then if you feel comfortable with that. Otherwise I might just go with a succinct "The Book of Mormon is a great book that testifies of Christ and can bring people closer to Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ...." You don't have to say things you don't believe.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 09 Apr 2018, 05:51

The assignment was to share a testimony about how sharing the BoM has affected you but I bet no one would notice if you went off script and gave a testimony on a subject of your choosing. Like sacrament meeting talks. There's an assigned subject but I've never heard of anyone getting called out for not sticking to the subject and 95% of the people listening wouldn't even know you've gone off subject.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel... that makes me feel ANGRY!
— Robot Devil

dande48

Post by dande48 » 09 Apr 2018, 10:47

I've found that you can find goodness and truth, even from sources you disagree with.

Rather than focusing on how sharing the Book of Mormon has affected you, maybe you can focus on how sharing a lesson from the Book of Mormon affected you. There are plenty of good messages, even if you disagree on the finer points.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

Roy

Post by Roy » 09 Apr 2018, 10:50

Yes, I like to fall back on how the book of mormon testifies of Christ throughout.

I do not need to believe in the historicity of the book to point out that it talks of Jesus on almost every page.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

harmon-y

Post by harmon-y » 09 Apr 2018, 11:01

Thanks!! I can share a testimony of the written words from heavenly father and listening to the spirit to guide you to the things you need. Hopefully no one will call me out (haha) but falling back on the spirit direction is great! :thumbup:

On Own Now

Post by On Own Now » 13 Apr 2018, 10:23

harmon-y,

You got great advice here already. I just want to say thank you for being the primary music director in spite of your situation. There is a place at the table for you and me in the Church. I admire your willingness to take on the responsibility of working in primary each Sunday and wish you well.
"Let us therefore no longer pass judgment on one another, but resolve instead never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of another." --Romans 14:13

LDS_Scoutmaster

Post by LDS_Scoutmaster » 13 Apr 2018, 11:31

LookingHard wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 04:39
I would just give a testimony on what you can - even totally non church stuff - and have it come from the heart. What makes you feel God?
I would agree with LH, keep it simple and heartfelt.

A while ago I gave a story time (?) reenactment with another guy on a BOM story. He was clearly uncomfortable with retelling the story, and I realized afterwards why. He didn't believe it, so he felt disingenuous portraying it. I was kind of in the same situation at the time, but told myself that regardless of whether the story is historically real or not, it is still a good story with moral values, not unlike any other story we tell for the inherent message they contain.

Let us know how it goes!
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6311&start=70#p121051 My last talk

We are all imperfect beings, dealing with other imperfect beings, and we're doing it imperfectly.