Reaching Out Update

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
AmyJ

Re: Reaching Out Update

Post by AmyJ » 20 Mar 2018, 08:20

Hello,
Here are some other gems I thought I would share:

"One thing I love is the accounts of the growth of the spirit. Like yours. Like Jesus’s. I think most of us have a number of these accounts available to us, and it makes me love the human spirit that won’t give in to the status quo. Martin Luther King, for instance. Or Malcolm X. Of course there are a lot of cheap pretenders, looking for power over other people, leading them around by their un-examined beliefs. Socrates said the un-examined life is not worth living. Some other guy said the un-lived life is not worth examining. I don’t think the latter form is true. We can learn from everyone, even those who decide not to live and question. But, like Nietzsche, I love the questioner. They are interesting and frighteningly human."

Roy

Post by Roy » 20 Mar 2018, 08:45

AmyJ wrote:
20 Mar 2018, 08:20
Hello,
Here are some other gems I thought I would share:

"One thing I love is the accounts of the growth of the spirit. Like yours. Like Jesus’s. I think most of us have a number of these accounts available to us, and it makes me love the human spirit that won’t give in to the status quo. Martin Luther King, for instance. Or Malcolm X. Of course there are a lot of cheap pretenders, looking for power over other people, leading them around by their un-examined beliefs. Socrates said the un-examined life is not worth living. Some other guy said the un-lived life is not worth examining. I don’t think the latter form is true. We can learn from everyone, even those who decide not to live and question. But, like Nietzsche, I love the questioner. They are interesting and frighteningly human."
That is wonderful!
Some other guy said the un-lived life is not worth examining.
I am not sure what an "un-lived life" is. It sounds like an oxymoron to me. ;)
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

DoubtingTom

Post by DoubtingTom » 20 Mar 2018, 09:48

I love everything you have shared from your grandpa and I appreciate his perspectives. I’d love to meet him or have someone like that in my life!

dande48

Post by dande48 » 20 Mar 2018, 11:05

Thanks for sharing, Amy!

I'm a big Nietzsche fan, in large part to his incredibly sexy mustache. I think he's sadly misunderstood by the world at large. He was a big challenger to the status quo, encouraging people to throw out their ideas of morality and meaning... and that's as far as most people get. But what matters is what you do after your faith is shattered, and how you build yourself back up, find purpose, and carry on. I think Nietzsche's teachings are invaluable to that end.

I also love his concept of Amor Fati (Love of our Fate):
My formula for greatness in a human being is amor fati: that one wants nothing to be different, not forward, not backward, not in all eternity. Not merely bear what is necessary, still less conceal it… but love it.
That's where I hope to be with the Church someday.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket