What If Curt Sunshine Was Right?

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
mom3

What If Curt Sunshine Was Right?

Post by mom3 » 08 Mar 2018, 11:24

Elder/President Nelson and I will likely have a very tumultuous relationship in the next few years. He and I seem to value different things. He can incite frustration in me that takes days to get over. Top it off, the removal of Uchtdorf was my final straw.

But then - He made a statement about gun laws that leaned more my way. So I had to give him credit. Yes I am keeping score. Protection demands it.

Then today this appeared by Jana Reiss. It gives Elder/President Nelson at least 5 extra points. I don't know what I am going to do. What if Curt was right that sometimes the top rung softens things? What if Elder/President Nelson and I end up having more in common than we have in the past? Hmm. I don't know.

Take a moment and read Jana's piece. It's one glimpse on the journey we may want to keep.

//www.religionnews.com/2018/03/05/mormon- ... ppearance/
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

GBSmith

Re: What If Curt Sunshine Was Right?

Post by GBSmith » 08 Mar 2018, 11:42

I guess for me it will come down to what he (the church) does and not so much what he says.

mom3

Post by mom3 » 08 Mar 2018, 13:27

GBSmith - Agreed. That's why I am skipping Conference this session. It's Easter Weekend and I plan to fully immerse myself in Easter.

Keeping my long term options open.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 08 Mar 2018, 13:29

Honestly Mom this doesn't do much for me. Sure it'd be exciting if the president of the church (or any other of the Q15) showed up unexpectedly at stake conference. But I have heard other similar stories where some of these guys are very different outside of their GC facades - including how warm and smiley Oaks can be. That's exactly one of the problems I have with them (generally speaking). Why aren't they like that in GC? Wouldn't they reach many more if they were a bit more human? Wouldn't we love to hear some personal family stories? Why doesn't DTC talk about his brother and his love for him? And wouldn't GC be a whole lot less boring (OK, I know there's not much you can do with GC, so maybe a little less boring) if they actually lightened up a bit? In short, the RMN we're going to see and hear from on a regular basis is not the one described in this article IMO. Just saying. And, Benson softened but he was still too sharp.

I should also say I do appreciate the message about Jesus and the first principles of the gospel (although with too much emphasis on the endure part) and Easter.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

mom3

Post by mom3 » 08 Mar 2018, 17:24

My guess is - I don't want the tide that's coming. That's why I am skipping GC in any format this April. I am not ready.

I have even had other people in my ward whisper their fears. Every one of them keeps saying "Well, he is such and such age. That's in our favor." Truth is the man is like a 70 year old.

I keep hoping it will be like the "poke" the nurse tells you when they give you a shot.

I am giving myself 7 points for effort.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 08 Mar 2018, 20:36

To answer the direct question of the post title:

There will be a catastrophic break in the space-time continuum.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken