Personal beliefs post FC.

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
Rebel

Personal beliefs post FC.

Post by Rebel »

Hi to all. : Many of you know I had a FC about 3 yrs ago now have since reconstructed my testimony and even though it is different it is stronger. The one thing that has changed and allowed me to stay in the lds church is my own personal beliefs. I love the lds church deeply and find it has more truth than any other church. I know many of you have a similar way to stay . I am going to,be selfish here and list some of my beliefs to help me get it off my chest. The first their is only one God and god was never a man . God is a spirit and does not have a body of flesh and bone. Polygamy was never ever Gods plan. The BOM is not a historical book but a 19th century work inspired by God. Grace is a gift from a God. I do not believe in baptism for the dead but believe the Temple is a great place to seek divine guidance. I believe coffee and tea are not covered in the wow. Besides the wow is not by commandment. I believe the display of the cross is ok. Other churches are used as a way of god connecting with his other children who can be and are just as humble and worthy as we are. These are just some I wanted to mention . I also stay as a way to achieve harmony and peace in our home as my wife is a TBM. I don't talk much about my own personal beliefs they are mine to keep close to me very very personal in nature. Just wanted to share with the thought that it may help some others struggling with their FC. God Bless.
SamBee

Re: Personal beliefs post FC.

Post by SamBee »

* God of flesh and bone - I don't actually believe this matters much. Personally I think it limits God a bit, but what do I know about the nature of God? It is not one of those things I lie awake thinking about at night.

* God was never a man - not a fan of this doctrine particularly, but it does have the positive aspect of suggesting each of us can learn and expand beyond our current state if we "choose the right" (which is not always the church suggests.)

* BOM - Does it help you? If it does, keep it. It doesn't matter if Nephi and co existed.

* Tea and coffee - all I can say is that I believe these two caused me health problems. Before I became active again, I was told by my doctor to cut them down. Now I have, and I feel better for it.

* Baptism for the dead - I much prefer this to the doctrine in some other churches that once you die your chance has gone, even if you've never heard the Gospel.

* Display of the cross - yes... but don't fall into the RC trap of morbid fascination with his death. Jesus was.taken off the cross. His crucifixion would not mean much without his influence before and after his death.

* "Other churches are used as a way of god connecting with his other children who can be and are just as humble and worthy as we are." - Yes, sometimes they are. However in some cases churches have gone way off beam - one is overfixated on gays (famously), some televangelists are complete parasites, and some churches have been overtaken with tradition and snobbery, and some have come to resemble a farmyard complete with noises.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."
dande48

Post by dande48 »

I agree with most of it... but that is a lot of caveats for a church that "has the most truth". Personally, I've come to the conclusion that the Church is "mostly good", which is not at all the same thing as being true.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket
nibbler

Post by nibbler »

As they say, perfect is the enemy of good.
I kept a diary right after I was born. Day 1: Tired from the move. Day 2: Everyone thinks I'm an idiot.
— Steven Wright
DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi »

I can't say I totally agree with all of your personal beliefs, but I could probably say that about almost anybody. I can survive in the LDS church because I can have my own beliefs, pretty much as I could in any other church. The focus of my beliefs, the foundation if you will, is that Jesus is the Christ and that his grace is sufficient. Nothing else really matters. As long as you are able to tune out or agreeably agree to disagree with others who insist that LDS doctrine/theology is the only truth you should be OK. FWIW, I don't go around talking about what I don't believe, I talk about what I do believe and find common ground in that. Often when I say I'm speaking Mormonese or sheepese, that's what I mean.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Thanks f or the responses. I survive in the church just as Dark Jedi stated because I have my own beliefs in Jesus Christ and maybe for some of us with TBM spouses or relatives still deeply entrenched in the church this is the way to go. I have no problem keeping my own beliefs to myself but respectfully agreeing to disagree from time to time. Occasionally some issue will touch a nerve but for most of the time it is easy for me to shelve or dismiss another's misguided point of view. I still very much like the approach used by the author of the web site churchistrue which is very similar . Even Joseph Smith in the early days had stated that the teachings of Christ were really all that mattered and so I have a copy of his quote in my personal bible. God Bless to all .
Old-Timer
Site Admin

Post by Old-Timer »

My core belief is that I don 't "know" much, and much of what I believe I know is different than orthodox views and policies, but I love what I view as the core, expansive theology - and I believe deeply in community and giving back to my people, especially in tribute to my parents who accepted me despite my different views.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken