Getting back your mojo

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
SamBee

Getting back your mojo

Post by SamBee » 21 Feb 2018, 09:15

Any tips?
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

AmyJ

Re: Getting back your mojo

Post by AmyJ » 21 Feb 2018, 09:25

Believe that your Mojo is AWE-INSPIRING and NEEDED by the world!!

[NOTE: The more you believe in your own Mojo, the more your choices will drive that decision.]

There is a reason why "faking it [or at least not allowing disbelief to wreak halt your attempts] until you make it" sometimes works.

dande48

Post by dande48 » 21 Feb 2018, 10:56

You've got a few options:
-Pray to find your lost mojo (hint: It's likely in your pant's pockets from the day before, or lost between the couch cushions).
-Track down those who stole your mojo, and teach them a lesson.
-Purchase some new mojo from your local mojo dealer.
-Make your own mojo.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 21 Feb 2018, 11:15

:clap: Thanks, yes that's how I've felt a bit recently. It may be the winter blues partly but yes it's difficult to think how to get this back. I feel like I am trudging through life just now, feeling old, wondering where the world is going and wondering if I want to be around much longer.

I'm also trying to work out whether this is something that has been going on for while or whether this is a new thing.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Roy

Post by Roy » 21 Feb 2018, 11:17

Advice for mojo:
Boyd K. Packer wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 11:15
“Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without.”
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

AmyJ

Post by AmyJ » 21 Feb 2018, 11:33

Similar boat :waves:

I think mine is a winter thing... but then if this improves in the spring/summer, my allergies will get worse due to pollen and bugs will abound...

mom3

Post by mom3 » 21 Feb 2018, 12:33

Do something you remember enjoying before. Whether that is cooking, painting, building something, whatever. Retouch it.

I am also a huge believer in meditation. Even just for 5 mins. a day.

Gratitude. Scientifically it has been proven that gratitude can change moods. Even over simple things. Can you walk, see, touch, hear, talk. List 3 things morning and night you are grateful for. A yummy sandwich, good memories, StayLDS website. Build on it. Our brain begins to churn a new when we actively collect gratitude's.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 21 Feb 2018, 14:53

(Here I do my F&T thing! ☺)

I actually think the church is the best thing in my life at the moment. No, not everything is perfect but I even enjoy my calling which keeps me occupied. And my social life in the church is generally happier than outside it.

mom3

Post by mom3 » 21 Feb 2018, 14:58

I actually think the church is the best thing in my life at the moment. No, not everything is perfect but I even enjoy my calling which keeps me occupied. And my social life in the church is generally happier than outside it.
No shame in that.

This past Sunday as I sat through a Relief Society lesson I didn't like, I looked around the room and thought about all the women I love in my ward. All of our announcements that day were service or interpersonal relationship related. Real connectedness type things. There is much to enjoy at church. Congrats that it is that place for you.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Reuben

Post by Reuben » 21 Feb 2018, 20:31

I'm also a big believer in meditation. Mindfulness works well for me. Also, the research shows pretty unambiguously that mindfulness meditation lowers anxiety, stress, and depression in the long term by strengthening functional connections in the "default mode network" - the collection of nodes that's active while your mind is wandering or between attentional tasks. (FWIW, according to MRI studies, weak functional connections in the default mode network are implicated in an ever-growing list of problems, including anxiety, depression, ADHD, autism and RLS.)

https://www.mindful.org/meditation/mind ... g-started/

As a sensitive person, I'm partial to choiceless awareness meditation.

Also, this has helped me deal with social rejection lately:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/th ... ight-urges

Turns out that the vagus nerve - the neural pathway from brain to vital organs that's used to give us warm fuzzy feelings of belonging (among many, many other functions) - can be used in reverse to send signals that calm the mind. Most people already do this: it's what taking a deep breath when we're stressed does.

Also, I've been drinking coffee for the caffeine and antioxidants. (Taking caffeine pills and eating more colorful fruits and vegetables would also work, but the coffee at work is free and I've discovered that I love cappuccino.) This is for both health and mood. Aging, chronic illness and depression can all increase the concentration of pro-inflammatory cytokines in our blood, which saps our energy, makes us more resistant to insulin, makes it harder for us to lose weight, stresses our hearts, etc., etc. Caffeine and antioxidants have repeatedly been shown to reduce these pro-inflammatory markers. Multiple longitudinal studies on coffee consumption with very large cohorts show that coffee drinkers live years longer on average.

(SamBee, I know you've been against caffeine consumption, but you should check out the studies of its effects on the pro-inflammatory cytokines IL-6, IL-1-beta, and TNF-alpha. Also look for how these things lower mood and motivation using the keywords "sickness behavior" and "dopamine".)

So... in short, I've gotten most of my mojo back using meditation to order my mind, vagus nerve stimulation to blunt the pain of not belonging, and caffeine and antioxidants to improve health, mood and motivation.
My intro

Love before dogma. Truth before loyalty. Knowledge before certainty.