Sustaining Others in Callings

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
AmyJ

Sustaining Others in Callings

Post by AmyJ » 13 Feb 2018, 10:40

I made a discovery today, The word "Sustain" has several meaningful meanings:
a) Strengthen/Support - the one that everyone thinks about when they think about callings.
b) Undergo/Suffer - maybe sometimes when we "sustain" someone in leadership, all we can do is not speak ill of them and have charity enough to "undergo/suffer" their leadership.

When I first think of the word "sustain" - I think of sci-fiction level wonderful miracles being performed with power being transferred to and wielded by someone in a steady amount - how cool that would be to have that much confidence in someone to give that power or receive that power.

And then I think about how my husband sustains me in our family. He protects my sacred Sunday nap times, cooks food for us (even when he is sick), listens to me, reminds me of who I am and what I can do. He makes sure our oldest uses the restroom every night in the middle of the night. He clears out snow so that I can get to work. He gives blessings to us when socially constrained to do so or when the circumstances call for it. I think the biggest example of sustaining us I can find is last year when he decided to be more respectful and show more respect to all of us everyday. These are not flashy sustaining moves, but they are more powerful than the words I have can convey in our journey learning how to sustain each other.

That brings up 2 (ok 2.5) thoughts:
That to really "sustain" someone in something, you have to get to know them and what they can do, and get a sense of what they are being called to undertake.

And if neither circumstance is possible (you don't have the resources to get to know them or what their calling entails - no judgement on either circumstance), maybe all you can do is "undergo" the experience(s) with them.

SamBee

Re: Sustaining Others in Callings

Post by SamBee » 13 Feb 2018, 10:46

I see the word in this context as meaning "support" or even "feed" (sustenance).

Of course there is also sustain on the guitar.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Roy

Post by Roy » 13 Feb 2018, 11:55

AmyJ wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 10:40
Undergo/Suffer - maybe sometimes when we "sustain" someone in leadership, all we can do is not speak ill of them and have charity enough to "undergo/suffer" their leadership.
Interesting I have never thought of this in the context of sustain an injury before.

"Bro. Roy, do you sustain you bishop?"
"Boy do I ever! I could tell you some crazy stories!" ;)
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

AmyJ

Post by AmyJ » 13 Feb 2018, 12:50

Roy wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 11:55
"Bro. Roy, do you sustain you bishop?"
"Boy do I ever! I could tell you some crazy stories!" ;)
I think the key point in "sustaining" this leader is not telling the crazy stories :P :crazy: 8-)

But if they are crazy enough, can you write them down so 50 years from now or so they can drift as gospel lore?

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 13 Feb 2018, 18:50

SamBee wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 10:46
Funny, that one came to mind as I was reading the OP and before reading your post. In music it's how long a note can last after the initial creation of the note. I don't know, don't judge, I don't write for Websters.

dande48

Post by dande48 » 13 Feb 2018, 19:41

nibbler wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 18:50
Funny, that one came to mind as I was reading the OP and before reading your post. In music it's how long a note can last after the initial creation of the note. I don't know, don't judge, I don't write for Websters.
I think it makes a fitting analogy. No note can be sustained forever. And even if you'd try, it'd make for one poor symphony.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 14 Feb 2018, 05:11

nibbler wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 18:50
SamBee wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 10:46
And a piano - although I remembered that after the fact.

This ties in with the idea of enduring to the end.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 14 Feb 2018, 20:47

If you are interested, Amy, check out the following link to my personal blog. It includes multiple posts about sustaining.

http://thingsofmysoul.blogspot.com/search?q=Sustain
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken