How to ask in faith without feeling jerked around

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
dande48

Re: How to ask in faith without feeling jerked around

Post by dande48 » 09 Feb 2018, 08:30

squarepeg wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 21:28
Do you think his definition of faith can be reconciled with the LDS definition, "if ye have faith, ye hope for things which are not seen which are true"? I feel like it can't! I also never could make sense out of that verse in Alma 32. If the things are "not seen" then how do we know they ARE true? It's like we are presupposing truths arbitrarily, not with an open mind, but based solely on what we HOPE is true.
A few thoughts. To re-frame it a little, I believe the LDS take faith to mean the decisive action you take geared towards a belief (which may or may not be true). But IF it is true, the rewards will pay off. "Faith is knowing the sun will rise...". "Faith is trusting in God above". You take actions as if those things were true, without really knowing. But just recently Televangelist Gloria Copeland encouraged said you don't need a flu shot if you "inoculate yourselves with the word of God". I remember Robert Tilton also made fantastical claims, stating that if you sent him your life's savings, God would cure you of any ailment. And there were several HUGE legal battles, where the children of the deceased sued Robert Tilton for convincing their parents to forgo life saving treatment, take out costly second mortgages, and ultimately ended up dying for their faith.

So faith only works if you act in accordance with a belief that turns out to be true. Alan Watts was referring to the Latin roots of "faith" (trust) and the old English roots of "lief", meaning "to prefer". Hence, belief is a a "knowledge preference" (confirmation bias), while faith is a trust. To have faith in God means to let go of our "knowledge preference" of Him. Does God exist? Does God have a body? Does God love us? We don't know these things. And that's alright. If there is a loving God in heaven, we'll know soon enough. If not, good is still good, life still has joy and meaning.
"Sir, it's quite possible this asteroid is not entirely stable." - C-3PO

dande48

Re: How to ask in faith without feeling jerked around

Post by dande48 » 09 Feb 2018, 11:37

One more thing came to mind on my lunch break. Have you ever heard of the term "Wu Wei"? It's a Daoist term, first described by Lao Tzu in the 6th century. It translates to "not making an effort", but not in a slothful sense. Rather, it's the "intentional surrender of the will based on a wise recognition of the need, at points, to accede to, rather than protest against, the demands of reality."

Going back to faith, in term of Wu Wei, I think it might be useful to define it as "not knowing, and being okay with that".
"Sir, it's quite possible this asteroid is not entirely stable." - C-3PO