"Spoons" FHE Lesson - Theoretical Success

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
AmyJ

"Spoons" FHE Lesson - Theoretical Success

Post by AmyJ » 07 Feb 2018, 13:04

I just wanted to give ya'll something to smile at (or at least a goofy laugh)...

For my Pathways class, we had to prepare (write out with their template) a FHE based on the 2nd half of the Book of Mormon.

I thought about it and realized that my family needed a lesson on individual resource management (aka "Spoons" and a visual demonstration of the "spoons" theory). Since we are not the most diligent in FHE, I realized I should kill 2 birds with 1 stone by teaching this lesson and doing my Pathways homework at the same time. So I put together the FHE outline, found a BoM scripture, found the Conference talk that really talked about what I was talking about, and submitted the plan for review. I got the rubber stamp of approval from my teacher (he even suggested an additional quote by President Monson), printed out my plan and got 48 plastic spoons. I was ready - look out family, FHE was going to happen and it was going to be awesome!

DH was not in a good mood, 8 year old DD#1 was bouncing all over the place, 17 month old DD#2 was running all over the place and wanted to eat the spoons. We sang the opening song with much off key gusto and I launched into the lesson. I pointed out what the spoons meant while I handing them out. I took back spoons for morning routines, activities, and threw in random events (Daddy and DD#1 had a disagreement and spent 3 spoons each working through it). I handed back spoons based on rest times and effective decisions (eating healthier, taking breaks, the basics). DH mentioned that a person can "reclaim spoons" by reading scriptures, so after FHE DD#1 decided to spend 10 minutes reading her scriptures/looking at the pictures (which is good). This was 2 weeks ago. I don't think I mentioned it consistently since then.

This morning while I was brushing my teeth, DD#1 waltzed up to me and told me that she "had decided to spend less spoons on her morning routine" so was going to get through it with a good attitude. SHE TOLD ME! IT TOOK!!

LookingHard

Re: "Spoons" FHE Lesson - Theoretical Success

Post by LookingHard » 07 Feb 2018, 16:57

Cool!

squarepeg

Post by squarepeg » 07 Feb 2018, 17:42

:thumbup: So great!!! Thanks for sharing!

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 07 Feb 2018, 21:23

:clap: :clap: :clap:
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

mom3

Post by mom3 » 07 Feb 2018, 23:23

I needed that lesson thanks. My son wears a hoodie with low spoons symbol on it. So get the analogy.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman