Church History Suddenly and Inexplicably Stopped Bothering Me...

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
Roy

Re: Church History Suddenly and Inexplicably Stopped Bothering Me...

Post by Roy » 06 Feb 2018, 10:20

Amy J, I love your list of spiritual implications. Sometimes when people ask me why I as a Mormon would participate at other churches, I respond, "to supplement my spirituality." Diversifying my own personal menu helps me to not burn out of with just "hamburgers" all the time. I keep hamburgers in the rotation. Sometimes I can even appreciate the comfort and familiarity of the hamburger ... as long as it isn't being shoved down my throat! :twisted:
Beefster wrote:
05 Feb 2018, 18:18
I actually hope not to be omnipotent or omniscient because either one ruins the fun of games and it's hard for me to imagine a heaven without games.
Omniscient and omnipotent Beefster: "I win again!"
Roy: (dejectedly) "Oh man, I thought with my new strategy I really had a chance to beat you this time."
Omniscient and omnipotent Beefster: "I know you did, I read your thoughts."
Roy: "Forget it! I quit!"
Omniscient and omnipotent Beefster: "Come back and play me again or I will squish your head like a tiny bug."
Roy: "I think I am going to be sick..." :sick:
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

dande48

Post by dande48 » 06 Feb 2018, 11:02

Dande's prayer: "For an Omniscient, Omnipotent Beefster, you sure have a hard time making a decent burger."
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

Beefster

Post by Beefster » 06 Feb 2018, 18:09

AmyJ wrote:
06 Feb 2018, 06:55
Roy wrote:
05 Feb 2018, 15:11
I might not have explained myself clearly. My wife basically holds to this theory. The church holds the monopoly on necessary priesthood ordinances.
I am willing to say "I don't know anymore". We are taught we hold the monopoly. A lot of people stake and redefine their lives on that assumption regularly. We are taught a lot of things that may be true, may be partially true, may be true from that person's viewpoint, or may have absolutely nothing to do with the truth. We are taught a lot of "truths" that turn out to be traditions, cultural trappings, or just common narrative details - a lot of us run into crisis mode when our reality no longer matches the "truths" we know for ourselves to be true. This principle of necessary priesthood ordinances turns out to be one of those truths brought under the microscope.
Same boat. I really have no idea.

I'm not sure I am sold on the church's exclusivity claims.

In the end, I don't want to live a life of misery for this elusive eternal life if I'm not absolutely certain there is one. The Gospel has to have a benefit in my lifetime, not just eternity.
Boys are governed by rules. Men are governed by principles.

Often I hear doubt being presented as the opposite of faith but I think certainty does a better job of filling that role. Doubts can help faith grow, certainty almost always makes faith shrink. --nibbler

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 07 Feb 2018, 06:42

I wouldn't say living the gospel has created a life of misery for me. Living the word of wisdom has ameliorated (but not cured) my depression, I now have a circle of friends which is far more stable than I have outside the church, and the church has at least attempted to help me in ways no one else has.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."