I Traded Up - Sunday Activity

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
AmyJ

I Traded Up - Sunday Activity

Post by AmyJ » 29 Jan 2018, 13:17

I am happy to report that I chose to "trade up" on Sunday by listening to DFU talks instead of having our normal non-Sabbath media running.
NOTE: My family got a cold last week that we thought was going away, but it actually wasn't going away... so we were all miserable (kids had sniffles, I had sniffles, lucky DH had sniffles AND a migraine). I would not have gone without DH (faith transition rule of mine), but none of us were in any condition to go and spread our germs to the majority of the branch.

I got up and corralled the girls with breakfast, and decided to put on a DFU talk on YouTube. 1 talk turned into 2, then 3... then 2 hours had passed.

My husband reported I was happier, calmer and more centered in general (before I told him I had been listening to the talks). Which gives me food for thought...

mom3

Re: I Traded Up - Sunday Activity

Post by mom3 » 29 Jan 2018, 14:30

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Fantastic Trade Up. I think I will take a leaf out of your book this coming April General Conference. I will tune into my favorite Uchtdorf talks and let that be. I can catch the regular talks during the Standard Sunday Rebound.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 29 Jan 2018, 18:14

Love, love, love it. :clap:
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 29 Jan 2018, 19:06

By their fruits shall ye know - and it sounds like even being sick things were better.

AmyJ

Post by AmyJ » 30 Jan 2018, 06:27

LookingHard wrote:
29 Jan 2018, 19:06
By their fruits shall ye know - and it sounds like even being sick things were better.
Working on it...
DH's migraine made him grumpy, so it was a challenge to be at home - but there is snow on the ground so going outside was not an option.

SIDE NOTE: My posts are not intended as humble-brags ever. I learn through words, and in writing to y'all I write to myself. Also, I just bring up things in my life so that all y'all my friends would celebrate with me - it is my equivalent of the woman who found her 10 cents or whatever amount of currency it was in the scriptures and called her friends and family to celebrate... I am an equal opportunity celebrator and will celebrate when things go well for y'all as well :P

Roy

Post by Roy » 30 Jan 2018, 11:38

AmyJ wrote:
30 Jan 2018, 06:27
SIDE NOTE: My posts are not intended as humble-brags ever.
I understand humble brag as when you bring up something you are proud of as an aside to the main topic. "I am feeling so tired because I woke up at 6am, but it felt good to get all the canning done." ;)

What you did was straight up brag ... which is allowed. :D

Seriously, sharing what is working for us in our spiritual path (through both successes and failures) is what StayLDS is all about.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

BeJoyful

Post by BeJoyful » 31 Jan 2018, 17:22

I love this! I need to look into trading up some things...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

AmyJ

Post by AmyJ » 19 Feb 2018, 12:27

We missed church again (up to week 5 - 3 weeks of sickness, 2 snow Sundays - 1 of them the service was cancelled for branch-wide).

Faith transition aside - DH has a hefty cold/is recovering from a migraine. DD#1 is finally over the cold <crosses fingers> and DD#2 (the toddler) has been dealing with teething and/or the cold for days now. My husband offered to watch the toddler while I took the oldest to church, but I stayed home because I knew he had limited resources. It was a judgement call on my end - trading going to church (being where we "should" be) with taking care of my husband and daughter. I think I made the right call - the toddler was VERY FUSSY (even with me), and that DH didn't even really have strength to carry the toddler into the girls' bedroom to tuck her in.

DD#1 helped me pick out several General Conference talks to listen to, and then DH and I listened to a few together as well. I am grateful for the time spent watching a few talks as a mother/daughter duo and the 2 talks together with my husband. I felt that we had some dialog we would not otherwise have had.

mom3

Post by mom3 » 19 Feb 2018, 16:18

I actually wish we had "off Sunday" every month.

Years ago, when the new block program came out, the area I lived in said it was preparatory to families having church at home or in homes with other nearby members. I was so excited by that idea.

Now 37 years later - What Happened?

I can't verify that the church leadership ever had the idea of "home church", but I sure bought the rumor I grew up. I love it. Think of the joy it would bring. You don't have to do it every week. But what if the 5th Sunday's became home church days. Just four times a year.

On the "colds" end our Sacrament Meeting sounded like a smokers convention. Everyone hacking away. Stay home. Oh, that means me, too.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman