The Rescue is Back on The Menu!

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
Sheldon

Re: The Rescue is Back on The Menu!

Post by Sheldon » 30 Jan 2018, 14:07

Curt Sunshine wrote:
28 Jan 2018, 18:46
So, it was 7/8 good-excellent and 1/8 bad.

My advice: Anything that is 87.5% good is good. Focus on that simple fact.
That is not what the church teaches about R rated movies. If the movie is 99% good, but that one scene is bad, then its just like having a little bit a poop in your brownie. See this excellent blog post on Poop Cookies here at BCC

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 30 Jan 2018, 15:19

So what, Sheldon. That has nothing whatsoever to do with this situation. Nobody here is saying we need to follow the Church's example regarding that issue in every aspect of our lives.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Roy

Post by Roy » 30 Jan 2018, 16:11

Sheldon wrote:
30 Jan 2018, 14:07
That is not what the church teaches about R rated movies. If the movie is 99% good, but that one scene is bad, then its just like having a little bit a poop in your brownie.
I know you are being a little bit "Sheldon" here but I think you have a good point.

1) Almost 100% of ground beef in the US contains fecal contamination (generally safe with proper cooking) and yet Mormons continue eating hamburgers. Why is it that this metaphor about food and poop that we eat does not apply to food (and poop) that we actually eat?

2) I recently attended Gospel Principles class and the lesson was on honesty. The lesson said that God was 100% honest and expected that of us as well. What ensued were discussions of how little white lies and business practices that exaggerate how good of a deal the customer is getting are not honest. Two women confessed to the extreme guilt they feel when someone gives them too much change (even if they only discover it after they get home). I remember thinking that these sure are impossibly high standards for new members - heck they are impossibly high for me!!! :evil: Anyway, I made the point that we should not equate telling a little white lie to "bearing false witness". One is fairly inconsequential while the other can ruin peoples lives.

3) Finally, as Voltaire said, "Perfect is the enemy of good." I reject perfection in my effort to admire what is good around and within me.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

dande48

Post by dande48 » 30 Jan 2018, 19:01

Curt Sunshine wrote:
30 Jan 2018, 15:19
So what, Sheldon. That has nothing whatsoever to do with this situation. Nobody here is saying we need to follow the Church's example regarding that issue in every aspect of our lives.
I think Sheldon's making a pretty solid point. The Church claims perfection and asks for perfection. Any faults in it boil down to "the weakness of men, whom if you judge you are a fool who will go to hell." (I'm paraphrasing). One of the things I struggle with, is continuing to attend and have a level of faith in an organization which... would condemn the poop in another brownie, while failing to acknowledge its own.

Nobody's saying that here, but we're an odd bunch of Mormons.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 31 Jan 2018, 15:37

No, it's not a valid point.

Also, if we are trying to be accurate, which is important, the Church doesn't claim perfection, it doesn't demand perfection, and it doesn't teach that anybody who isn't perfect is a fool who is headed to Hell. Accuracy is important in discussions like this.

I get the point, but it is completely irrelevant to the point of the post and my own comment that Sheldon quoted. Rejecting something that is 7/8 good is not a solid way to live - unless the other 1/8 is toxic, which could be the case for mom3 in this instance but wasn't obvious when I commented. "The other 1/8 is toxic," is a valid response. "7/8 good is not a standard the Church accepts in some situations," is not a good, productive way to respond. It is a recipe for anger and bitterness, and it would ruin lives completely if applied to all situations - including many marriages and jobs.

The point is that we shouldn't base our decisions about one situation on what the Church teaches about other situations. Frankly, I am certain everyone here agrees with that.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Roy

Post by Roy » 31 Jan 2018, 16:16

Curt Sunshine wrote:
31 Jan 2018, 15:37
I get the point, but it is completely irrelevant to the point of the post and my own comment that Sheldon quoted. Rejecting something that is 7/8 good is not a solid way to live - unless the other 1/8 is toxic, which could be the case for mom3 in this instance but wasn't obvious when I commented. "The other 1/8 is toxic," is a valid response. "7/8 good is not a standard the Church accepts in some situations," is not a good, productive way to respond. It is a recipe for anger and bitterness, and it would ruin lives completely if applied to all situations - including many marriages and jobs.

The point is that we shouldn't base our decisions about one situation on what the Church teaches about other situations. Frankly, I am certain everyone here agrees with that.
I understand what you are saying Curt. I agree that Sheldon's comments was a tangent/segway at best and a "thread derailment" at worst. It was in a sense comparing apples and oranges (evaluating the relative merits of a conference vs. questionable church analogies about movies with objectionable material).
Curt Sunshine wrote:
31 Jan 2018, 15:37
I get the point, but it is completely irrelevant to the point of the post and my own comment that Sheldon quoted.
I agree. any further discussion of R rated movies and poop analogies should take place in their own dedicated thread.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

mom3

Post by mom3 » 31 Jan 2018, 23:41

unless the other 1/8 is toxic, which could be the case for mom3 in this instance
Toxic was not the case.

Fully worn down and with no one to vent to? Definitely. My husband is out of the country on business. The Rescue Topic has reached it's pinnacle for me. I won't let it be toxic.

The next time I hear it, I will excuse myself. There are plenty of other things to do in the Kingdom.

I am grateful I could have had a crappy day here. To rage, vent, and be pi**ed helped a lot.

Now I will sit back and watch Sean Connery and Kevin Costner in the Untouchables. Blood, guts, language and all. Good night.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 01 Feb 2018, 13:43

Thanks for the update, mom. Great movie; great plan.