The Rescue is Back on The Menu!

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
mom3

The Rescue is Back on The Menu!

Post by mom3 » 28 Jan 2018, 12:41

I just returned from one of those area Stake conference telecast deals.

Much of it I liked. The present format is half Stake Conference, the other half a regional broadcast with four GA types speaking.

My SP guy spoke on Jesus, and his power of serving and giving even in his darkest hours.

Then you sing a rest hymn and they transition to the live from Salt Lake Broadcast.

Nothing terribly egregious came out. I could find plenty of positive take aways. 2 speakers with accents. Christ References from the bible and BofM.

It was all going pretty good. Elder Kearon was up to bat. (He is a personal favorite of mine). Very Christ centered message about the Divine knowing the big and small pains in our lives. That we all our God's children.

Then he dropped it. The Rescue Part 2. Focused largely on those Melchizedek Priesthood members who have left the fold. Under the new plan, it's to be a more nuanced approach. Not an assignment. Or pressure. Just friendship, connection, service opportunities. The idea is that most who have left have forgotten the sweet spirit of the Holy Ghost. Once it is rekindled they will be back. For those who may never have had a firm testimony, this may give them what they had missed before.

His beautiful English accent couldn't assuage me. I think befriending people is lovely. Just don't make it an ulterior motive. Christ never did. Second, the Rescuer's have a part to play in the pain. If you want people back find out how to sincerely say sorry. It's not lack of firm testimony here. It's policy's, practices, candor, and more - that deserves to be aired and understood.

Now I am not a happy camper.

I couldn't even listen to Todd Christofferson. He may have said some nice stuff, but I was wound up.

I wish we would drop the Rescue Plan - both of them.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

DarkJedi

Re: The Rescue is Back on The Menu!

Post by DarkJedi » 28 Jan 2018, 13:43

This sounds like a retooled plan we had here last year. The premise and focus were the same - some MP holders had essentially forgotten their testimonies (particularly those who had served missions and were sealed to their spouse). The idea was to remind them of these experiences by asking them about them. The retooled part is that here it was supposed to be much more direct, using a missionary as a companion and the commitment model. I don't want to say "I told you so" (OK, yes I do :twisted: ) but I did as gently as possible tell them it wouldn't work - and it didn't. Why wouldn't it work? Because those of us who have served missions (especially) or have just been around long enough know the Jedi mind tricks, and we all know when we're a project. And some of it seemed even like it was a bit like bullying to me (some of the "invitation" stuff was on the forceful side). I think the plan as you describe it Mom recognizes that error, tones it down a bit, and may have some ever so slight chance of working a bit better on some people - but people are still going to know when they're a project or part of a program. Don't get me wrong, I think sincere friendship, connection and service would be very successful - but not when it's a program. Pharisees gonna Pharisee.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

mom3

Post by mom3 » 28 Jan 2018, 14:13

The project aspect annoys me big time.

The double annoyance is the fake apology part. I remember when my kids would be told to apologize to a sibling. They would give this flippant, "sorry."

No sincerity or ownership.

This plan feels that way to me. I know I shouldn't be surprised. But I wanted to jump up and shout, "Let it go". Fine you lost some. Suck it up. If you're not interested in a real dialogue, then just quit. Keep busy with the troops you have.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 28 Jan 2018, 14:25

Our semi-regional conference theme was deference to the leaders. It wasn't really about that but the stories shared had a strong undercurrent. I won't get into it here, this is your thread.

It sounds like a better rescue than most. The ultra orthodox are going to believe that people that don't show up to church are genuinely in need of rescuing (meanwhile I wish someone would rescue me from church, not to church ;)) so rescue plans will always be on the menu. It's the house specialty.

I think "the rescue" is hard on everyone. For the people that are being rescued but don't feel like they need to be rescued from anything to the overworked members that have to shoehorn it into their schedules and feel guilty if the fruits aren't apparent.

But I will say that every once in a while there's that one person that is rescued. Some people really do need it.

One thing does stand out to me though. They're after MP holders. You know, the very people they need to maintain a minimum number of to have stakes and wards. It feels a little self serving. Let's rescue the people that the church needs. Do women even get mentioned in these meetings?
And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold
-Jesus

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 28 Jan 2018, 14:36

And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold
-Jesus

mom3

Post by mom3 » 28 Jan 2018, 14:44

NIbbler - You are the best. Don't ever take your talent from us.

Feel free to deflect. I need to know that the field is being plowed differently. It's how I keep my chin up.

Beefster

Post by Beefster » 28 Jan 2018, 17:28

I bet if they just gave women the priesthood, this wouldn't be quite the same problem. It'd stop alienating a good chunk of the membership and it doubles the leadership base.

I've opposed the "casserole patrol" rescue mission since before my FC- probably on my mission. And considering that my trajectory may soon put me on the receiving end of that... Yeah. Not sure how I'm going to deal with that. Probably with sarcasm.

If church leaders knew what it is like to go through a faith crisis, I don't think they'd be so gung ho about rescue. People who were once strong in the church and leave do so not because of a desire to sin but because they realize that the church is not what makes them happy. They realize that it was the message making their life better, yet they feel betrayed by the messenger. The "wanting to sin" could maybe be said about teenagers, but I think it's more because the church fails to properly teach them about Jesus and his Atonement and they don't feel compelled by "the church is true." In some cases, people are shamed into self-loathing because of the excessive talk of exact obedience. Even all that is a gross oversimplification and overgeneralization. People leave the church for tons of different reasons, not just from being offended. Faith crises aren't really about petty things like horses in the BoM.

The church trains people to see inactives as 'broken' and that they need to be fixed with MOAR CHURCH! If church worked for them, you wouldn't need to 'rescue' them. They would do it themselves. If people don't keep buying your product, it's because your product is bad, not because your sales tactics were ineffective.
Boys are governed by rules. Men are governed by principles.

Sometimes our journeys take us to unexpected places. That is a truly beautiful thing.

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 28 Jan 2018, 17:38

Our SP showed up today and he wanted to talk. He talked about how his testimony is so so firm and based 100% on feelings and there is nothing anybody could say to him that would change his mind in the least. OK. Pretty clear I had better not go to him for any of my questions.

Then just to top that off he really lays it on how he is upset that people that once new the gospel, especially men, and they stopped reading the scriptures and praying daily are just terrible people - while my wife is sitting right next to me and I can just assume she is just eating this up.

Tica

Post by Tica » 28 Jan 2018, 17:46

It sounds like we were at the same conference! I agree that there were lots of good things said, even things that I really needed to hear today. And then... I had a really similar reaction when this "plan" was introduced. Like a punch in the gut. I was glad it was dark in the room so the people around me couldn't see my probably-stormy expression. It did also bother me that this seemed to be about only priesthood holders with the occasional added afterthought of "their families". Honestly, I kind of tuned out at that point as well, trying to hold on to the messages of love and Christ. Also, my kids spilled their box of gel pens that clattered all over the gym floor right on cue. Sometimes it's convenient to have a pint-sized distraction.

Processing this afterwards, I am feeling just a bit more charitable, though I still do and always will loathe the friends-with-an-agenda thing. I can see that for many LDS, much of my family included, the gospel truly does bring joy and peace. It would follow that it would be a Christlike desire to help bring that joy and peace (back) into someone's life. From that perspective, why wouldn't someone want that in their life? It is a great blessing and the way to exaltation! Our church, and many good souls within it, are often just not great with nuance and complexity.

Also on the up side, if members take the message to heart and truly do try to befriend those who have left, maybe our collective ability to understand and love people with different experiences and perspectives can be broadened. I can dream, right?!

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 28 Jan 2018, 18:46

So, it was 7/8 good-excellent and 1/8 bad.

My advice: Anything that is 87.5% good is good. Focus on that simple fact.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken