What are the implications of not paying tithing?

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
AmyJ

Re: What are the implications of not paying tithing?

Post by AmyJ » 02 Feb 2018, 07:18

nibbler wrote:
01 Feb 2018, 15:03
I've posted about this before. This is from the church's handbook from 1963.
General Church Handbook; Number 19 1963; page 67 wrote:What Is a Tithe? A tithe is one-tenth of a wage earner's gross income; a tithe is one-tenth of a professional man's income after deducting standard business expenses; a tithe is one-tenth of a farmer's income after deducting standard business operating expenses. A farmer should not include as standard business operating expense the produce which is used to sustain his family. A tithe is one-tenth of an individual's interest.
All emphasis (italics and bold) as present in the original document.
For me, it is a point of what does the "gross" stand for these days.

I grew up with the definition of "gross" for tithing as 10% of my paycheck BEFORE taxes (and health insurance) came out OR the first bill to be paid AFTER you got your paycheck (the 1 cent on 10 cents teaching in Primary). For what it is worth, the U.S. government defines it as what is left of the paycheck AFTER taxes (and health insurance) have come out.

Since there is a several hundred dollar difference between the 2 "gross" estimates - it gets interesting. This is compounded by the fact that as near as I can tell, no leader has acknowledged the dilemma even exists (that I know of) as a rational construct (whenever I bring it up I am given weird looks for what is a logical question and shot down for wanting to "rob God" by thinking of asking the question for clarification) ...