New First Presidency of the church

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
Mr. Sneelock

Re: New First Presidency of the church

Post by Mr. Sneelock » 16 Jan 2018, 09:52

Definitely hard news for me to swallow. I'm trying to keep my reactions in check. I know the decision has nothing to do with me but it feels personal because President Uchtdorf has been the general authority who has kept me spiritually fed and made me feel like there is still a place for me in the church. This kind of demotion (if you can call it that) has hardly ever happened in the history of the church so it just hurts that it had to happen to him.
. . . beauty for ashes . . .

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 16 Jan 2018, 10:17

I won't try to give a play by play, but I'd recommend watching the Q&A with the press that took place afterwards. The new FP was asked directly how they planned to address LGBT issues.

Not to much outside the expected.

The point is that real questions were asked. For example, they struggled a bit with the question about women's influence in the church and with the question about people leaving the church.

mom3

Post by mom3 » 16 Jan 2018, 10:43

President Uchtdorf is still going to be a Seventy,
Uchtdorf is a GA. He and Bednar were sustained on the same day. He is still in the Q15.

I know that isn't a full heal, but he still has some voice. Not nearly as much as I want or like. But it's not so far out that we won't have connection.

To be clear though I am crying in my beer today.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

dande48

Post by dande48 » 16 Jan 2018, 11:17

We've lost the best storytellers. Uchtdorf and Holland are the last two alive, I honestly enjoy listening to at conference.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

Sheldon

Post by Sheldon » 16 Jan 2018, 11:34

mom3 wrote:
16 Jan 2018, 10:43
President Uchtdorf is still going to be a Seventy,
Uchtdorf is a GA. He and Bednar were sustained on the same day. He is still in the Q15.
the 70 are also GA's. Uchtdorf is an Apostle, so he moves back to the Q12.

mom3

Post by mom3 » 16 Jan 2018, 12:24

the 70 are also GA's. Uchtdorf is an Apostle, so he moves back to the Q12.
Better clarification Sheldon.
so he moves back to the Q12

Or outer darkness, whichever one fits.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

richalger

Post by richalger » 16 Jan 2018, 12:26

nibbler wrote:
16 Jan 2018, 09:29
And one thing to consider, DHO is likely to end up president of the church at some point in the future. They may have wanted him to have some experience in the FP leading up to that... despite his cited 30+ years of experience in the Q12.
I thought this too.

richalger

Post by richalger » 16 Jan 2018, 12:30

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
16 Jan 2018, 09:52
This kind of demotion (if you can call it that) has hardly ever happened in the history of the church so it just hurts that it had to happen to him.
The fact that it has happened gives hope that other changes can happen. Not everything comes from precedent.

richalger

Post by richalger » 16 Jan 2018, 12:43

This video includes a question and answer session.
https://youtu.be/Mt3TslcvLV4

richalger

Post by richalger » 16 Jan 2018, 14:42

I loved President Oak's answer to a question about those who have left the church those who want the church to be more transparent. Questioning the lack of church growth.
It's a great comfort to me to know that I don't have to take the statement or actions of one particular leader as expressive of the doctrine and expectations of the church. We don't believe in infallibility of our leaders. What we believe in is the organization the church has set in place with multiple prophets, seers and revelators and with a council system. Here sit the quorum of the twelve.

We'll be working closely with them in the course of our responsibilities and in council, we all in an independent spirit, individually praying for guidance from the Lord. We sit as the Lord's servants to define the doctrine of the church and the expectations of the church. Under the leadership of the President of the Church, we meet in council to determine the direction of the church and the (what are called in the world) the policies of the church. Some of those things called policies are doctrine. Some of them are practices. Some of them are temporary directions like the age of missionary service. But they come out of a council.

In addition, I would remind those who worry about the things you ask about very appropriately, when it comes to transparency, by the action of this council, we have published the Joseph Smith Papers. On the desk in my office, are those published thus far, and they occupy a space approximately a yard and still increasing. If we weren't interested in transparency, we wouldn't be publishing all the papers of the prophet Joseph Smith and the documents that came out of the founding of this restored church.
I believe in the system of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I have confidence that their flaws are smoothed by their interactions with each other and with those they serve. Over time the branches of the tree that produce the most bitter fruit are being pruned. We are becoming more perfect as a church. We will continue to do so until we are fully acceptable to God. Those of us who will, will join into a fellowship with God. We will live as he lives and experience the joy of doing the work he does.