New First Presidency of the church

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
nibbler

New First Presidency of the church

Post by nibbler » 16 Jan 2018, 09:08

President: RMN
1st Counselor: DHO
2nd Counselor: HBE

HBE looked a little infirm during the press conference.

RMN looks extremely spry for a 93 year old (or however old he is).

Points raised during the press conference:
RMN: Stay on the covenant path. Emphasizing temple ordinances. There's a place for people at church and he made an appeal to considering the multi-generational family (though not in those words).

DHO: Cited tenure in the Q12 and pledged support to RMN and to testify of Christ.

HBE: Cited growth of church. The best is still to come. Missed most of it.

SamBee

Re: New First Presidency of the church

Post by SamBee » 16 Jan 2018, 09:15

Uchtdorf's out!

He is 93 - see here -

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8680
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

kate5

Post by kate5 » 16 Jan 2018, 09:16

This has really disheartened me. President Uchtdorf was the only hope I had that people like me could be represented. The fact that he has been taken out shows me where their priorities are. I am just sad right now.

squarepeg

Post by squarepeg » 16 Jan 2018, 09:17

SamBee wrote:
16 Jan 2018, 09:15
Uchtdorf's out!
:cry:

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 16 Jan 2018, 09:18

President Uchtdorf is still going to be an apostle, but let's give this some time. He's also in his seventies, unlike DO & HE, so he will probably be back in the future. And like RMN, he's in good shape for his age too.

Given their age, we will see a few GAs passing away in the next few years, which means some new blood will be coming in. That may include some of the First Presidency. RMN is spry indeed, but it is unlikely he will last that long into the 100s on a purely actuarial basis.
Last edited by SamBee on 16 Jan 2018, 09:25, edited 2 times in total.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 16 Jan 2018, 09:20

kate5 wrote:
16 Jan 2018, 09:16
This has really disheartened me. President Uchtdorf was the only hope I had that people like me could be represented. The fact that he has been taken out shows me where their priorities are. I am just sad right now.
Yeah. That's why I felt this needed to be in support. ;)

I'll be optimistic, which is weird for me. I'll be more interested in the talks delivered during general conference and of course the two new apostles to help provide more of a window into what this means for the future.

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 16 Jan 2018, 09:24

HBE inspires no strong feelings in me, but his presence ensures continuity.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 16 Jan 2018, 09:29

And one thing to consider, DHO is likely to end up president of the church at some point in the future. They may have wanted him to have some experience in the FP leading up to that... despite his cited 30+ years of experience in the Q12.

HBE is ahead of DFU in senoirty, so that may be another reason why DFU was chosen to be replaced as opposed to HBE.

I could see DAB being called up to the FP in the near future for the same reasons.

I'm stretching to find more pragmatic reasons for the change other than just, "we don't like Uckie because he's more liberal than we'd like."

squarepeg

Post by squarepeg » 16 Jan 2018, 09:36

nibbler wrote:
16 Jan 2018, 09:29

I'm stretching to find more pragmatic reasons for the change other than just, "we don't like Uckie because he's more liberal than we'd like."
Thank you. I need to assume these kinds of intentions.

richalger

Post by richalger » 16 Jan 2018, 09:50

There are 7 apostles between President Monson and President Nelson. It feels like a new generation of leadership to me. Elder Nelson and Oaks were called as apostles when I was 11 years old. I remember my dad talking about what he liked about the new apostles.

Thomas S. Monson
Boyd K. Packer
Marvin J. Ashton
Bruce R. McConkie
L. Tom Perry
David B. Haight
James E. Faust
Neal A. Maxwell
Russell M. Nelson

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_m ... DS_Church)

Also here is a link to the announcement video.
https://www.facebook.com/KUTV2News/vide ... 895599406/