New First Presidency of the church

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
Always Thinking

Re: New First Presidency of the church

Post by Always Thinking » 17 Jan 2018, 13:51

I created a post about the news conference as requested!

AmyJ

Post by AmyJ » 17 Jan 2018, 14:40

squarepeg wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 13:32
Woman asks, "What about women?" First Presidency be like, "We LOVE women! They make such good mothers!"

I'm sitting there thinking, ok, but NOT all women will be mothers, and if the only ways women contribute to the church are by raising boys and giving advice to our husbands, I'm not sure anyone in their right mind would say that makes us equal in power to men. Men can, after all, be fathers and they can also give advice to their wives...AND they have Priesthood authority, sooo.... And if women held the Priesthood and could hold some of these callings that currently are male-exclusive, men could play more of a role in raising their children, rather than realizing in their 80s that all that their kids are and have done they owe to their wives because they themselves were so busy fulfilling church responsibilities when their kids were growing up, they hardly knew them. How is this all not obvious? It's very simple logic.
Here's my question as well... it seems to me that women hold most of the ward emotional load of the ward/branch between their R.S. Compassionate service focus and child-raising activities, and social networking around the ward/branch. I feel comfortable saying this because people are more comfortable coming to me for ALL emotional load questions regarding my family instead of my husband. The times when people do not talk to me about logistics/emotional load stuff end badly for our family. I serve in the nursery sometimes now that my daughter is 16 months and "invited" into nursery. I mentioned to my husband the other day that I could not cover 3rd hour for 1 week - and he was adamant that they not expect him to help and it wasn't his place to help. I understand his point of view, but I was thinking, "Our daughter is now 1/3 of the nursery attendees, so unless someone else is called to serve, it is OUR RESPONSIBILITY to assist 1/3 of the time - or opt out of the program". Now, I get that my husband my be the exception here - and there might be good reasons for it - but that knee-jerk reaction still sticks with me.

NOTE: I realized today that I am seeing more men teaching in Primary and it is causing fewer raised eye brows. This is another sign that things are changing.

I do not feel we have equal hierarchal power with men. I feel that there is a weird imbalance where women do more (or different) and know more (or different) and either get more credit (we do get a random amount of emotional load credit on Mother's Day and in some General Conference talks) or less credit (how long did it take to put sisters on the Missionary Council - I think we hit a critical mass of sisters going out to serve that finally made it possible). I believe that the leadership does not want shift the power balance very much - either to not tilt the organization boat, or because they believe that the power balance is currently acceptable before God - or additional reasons left out. I just mourn that the changes are slow, and there isn't a whole lot of transparency about it.
squarepeg wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 13:32
Imagine if things were flipped and women held the Priesthood and men didn't. The female First Presidency is all, "Right, men don't hold the Priesthood. We love men, they make such good fathers! What would we do without them to give us advice and to raise up daughters to run the church someday!?" Who is going to say, "Oh, yeah, that sounds really reasonable! Great answer!"?

*facepalm*
:D

Roadrunner

Post by Roadrunner » 17 Jan 2018, 15:29

My snarky comment for the day: the announcement that RMN has 116 grandchildren sounds positively polygamy-ish. That is so many kids, how can he possibly remember all their names?

AmyJ

Post by AmyJ » 17 Jan 2018, 16:09

Roadrunner wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 15:29
My snarky comment for the day: the announcement that RMN has 116 grandchildren sounds positively polygamy-ish. That is so many kids, how can he possibly remember all their names?
EQUALLY SNARKY NOTE: That is a side benefit of getting married a second time. Someone has to celebrate the birthdays...

REPENTANT NOTE: It is possible that the emotional load of celebrating grandchild birthdays is handled by him personally, or paid staffing, or an internal marital agreement was reached and his wife handles it.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 18 Jan 2018, 04:51

Roadrunner wrote:
All the boys are named Russell, Marion, or Jared and all the girls are named You.

Alternatively: He's the prophet, and you can't contradict the prophet. Your name is whatever he calls you.

C'mere Billy.
[no one looks up]
Billy, I said come here.
[whispered]Go on son, your name is Billy now.[/whispered]
We must all live in the real world... and sometimes that world can be pretty grim. But it is the dream... the hope... that makes the reality worth living.
– Captain America

Roadrunner

Post by Roadrunner » 18 Jan 2018, 08:24

nibbler wrote:
18 Jan 2018, 04:51
Roadrunner wrote:
All the boys are named Russell, Marion, or Jared and all the girls are named You.

Alternatively: He's the prophet, and you can't contradict the prophet. Your name is whatever he calls you.

C'mere Billy.
[no one looks up]
Billy, I said come here.
[whispered]Go on son, your name is Billy now.[/whispered]
Thanks - this make me laugh!

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 19 Jan 2018, 11:31

I believe this new FP is basically the start of the Oaks administration.

I actually see good wisdom here...RMN is 93. God will keep him capable of leading for as long as needed. But as we saw with Hinckley and Monson, they were mostly running things well before their call as President when Benson and Hunter were limited in function.

There can be some consistency knowing Oaks is helping the 1st Pres now, and will likely continue soon-ish.

If RMN were to pass in the next 2 years, it would seem more a seamless transition to Oaks because he is already helping as 1st Couns, and he may be handling many duties now, depending on Nelson's health. Nelson may not have time to leave much of his own mark, so basically, Oaks is starting his legacy now, it seems to me.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

mom3

Post by mom3 » 19 Jan 2018, 12:05

Nibbler - Another win for you. Billy. I can't stop laughing.

Heber - you have a good point. It is so possible. Poor Eyring, he's just window dressing now.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

On Own Now

Post by On Own Now » 19 Jan 2018, 12:56

Heber13 wrote:
19 Jan 2018, 11:31
There can be some consistency knowing Oaks is helping the 1st Pres now, and will likely continue soon-ish.
In fact, there is a certain way of looking at all this... the simplest way... that removes the concept that DFU was kicked over being too nice or that the Church is getting back to hard-line thinking or that we wanted to get back to white male Americans. Really the simplest explanation is that RMN put DOH in as 1st Counselor because he likely will be President in a few years. To make room, the prior 1st Counselor was moved to 2nd. The prior 2nd was moved back into the Quorum. Personally, I imagine there is more to it than that, but that simple explanation is a bit hard to ignore if we don't let our imaginations take us too far.
"Let us therefore no longer pass judgment on one another, but resolve instead never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of another." --Romans 14:13

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 19 Jan 2018, 13:04

There's also the deacon's quorum president theory. RMN put his best buds in as his counselors.
We must all live in the real world... and sometimes that world can be pretty grim. But it is the dream... the hope... that makes the reality worth living.
– Captain America