National Homeless Day - Trading Up

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
mom3

National Homeless Day - Trading Up

Post by mom3 » 21 Dec 2017, 12:30

We mention the idea of trading up as we pass through faith transitions. Today is a perfect day to do that.

Today is National Homeless Persons Remembrance Day. It was chosen because today is longest, darkest, and often coldest day of the year.

The purpose of the day is to remember all those souls who have passed on because they were living on the streets.

Check your local paper for any vigils or donation requests. If you can't find any, contact a non-lds church or shelter and ask what you can donate. Blankets, gloves, clean socks, water bottles, pop-top cans of soup or bags of microwaveable popcorn.

Last of all, if you see a homeless person acknowledge them today. If you have nothing you can give or share, then say a prayer for them. "For are we all not beggars before God?"

"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: National Homeless Day - Trading Up

Post by Curt Sunshine » 21 Dec 2017, 19:22

Thank you. This is important. If you don't mind, I will share your words on Facebook, without attribution except to "a friend".
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

mom3

Re: National Homeless Day - Trading Up

Post by mom3 » 21 Dec 2017, 23:04

Please do. I stuck on my ward and stake page, too.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman