Church is true site

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
Rebel

Church is true site

Post by Rebel » 17 Dec 2017, 19:08

Hello: it has been a while . I am so glad to be here and in a good frame of mind. If any of you remember me I have gone through a faith crisis for about 3 years now. I have made peace with my faith and myself. I am not a member of the church anymore but I am planning on returning in soon. I still attend , my testimony is different but in many ways better than before. I am posting this in the hope of helping others as my faith crisis almost destroyed me ,I was very suicidal!! The main thing that helped me was the church is true website. I have adopted the non literal belief system and find myself close to the church again. Mormonism is a big tent for all !!!! My marriage also survived even though I did not think it would . I hope others will consider adopting a non literal belief before leaving the church. I wonder if the author of the web site has revealed his identity yet ? I know he is planning on writing a book and I will,be the first to purchase a copy ! God bless him in this holiday season and thank you for saving my life and faith !!

mom3

Re: Church is true site

Post by mom3 » 17 Dec 2017, 23:07

Rebel - Three cheers for the personal relationships (including your life) that you still have. May they last for the rest of forever. I hope you someday get to meet him (Church is True) site creator and can thank him in person.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 18 Dec 2017, 06:31

Thanks for checking in. I'm glad things are working for you. The guy who does the Churchistrue site is a member of this site, but I don't know how often he comes around - he might appreciate a PM thanking him though. I think his site has helped many.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Roy

Post by Roy » 18 Dec 2017, 10:39

Thank you for checking in Rebel. The church and the gospel are very motivating. When life is hard and not particularly purposeful - the church steps in and provides that purpose. During a FC that purpose can crumble. It can crush marriages, life goals, and self image.

I am so happy that you have gotten through to the other side. It does get better. Some people I know started a blog after losing their child in death. They called it "This is still a good life." Even without literal belief, there is still beauty, joy, and goodness in this life.

I have also visited Church is True's site and found the framework or perspective helpful. I believe that his approach (though unorthodox) is largely compatible with orthodoxy and can be a valid option for those looking to build bridges.

We are here for you if you need any additional support on your journey back.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

churchistrue

Post by churchistrue » 05 Jan 2018, 07:20

Rebel wrote:
17 Dec 2017, 19:08
Hello: it has been a while . I am so glad to be here and in a good frame of mind. If any of you remember me I have gone through a faith crisis for about 3 years now. I have made peace with my faith and myself. I am not a member of the church anymore but I am planning on returning in soon. I still attend , my testimony is different but in many ways better than before. I am posting this in the hope of helping others as my faith crisis almost destroyed me ,I was very suicidal!! The main thing that helped me was the church is true website. I have adopted the non literal belief system and find myself close to the church again. Mormonism is a big tent for all !!!! My marriage also survived even though I did not think it would . I hope others will consider adopting a non literal belief before leaving the church. I wonder if the author of the web site has revealed his identity yet ? I know he is planning on writing a book and I will,be the first to purchase a copy ! God bless him in this holiday season and thank you for saving my life and faith !!
Rebel, I just noticed this comment. Thanks for the kind words. Really made my day. PM me here or email me through my site, if you'd like. btw: I am still not public in terms of my real identity. Like you, I spend a lot of time negotiating with my wife. :)
sharing my view "metaphorical Mormonism" at my blog www.churchistrue.com