Youth Bishop Interviews

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
BJE

Re: Youth Bishop Interviews

Post by BJE » 25 May 2019, 17:44

Minyan Man wrote:
25 May 2019, 10:53
BJE wrote:
25 May 2019, 09:22
...I could have refused to answer the question and ended the interview but then I wouldn’t have been ordained a high priest either. However I’d like to confront him on the topic of asking that question.
What are we doing as a Church when we know leadership is by passing policy & guidelines and the membership is left with the choice of lying, rationalizing or walking out of an interview? Personally I would rather not be ordained than live with the lie. I wonder if they ask a perspective
Apostle, 70 or SP about masterbation? And if they did, what would their response be? Silly, I know.
Well, I didn’t lie to the stake president. I had already discussed the issue with my bishop. I brought it up not him, and after we had discussed it he told me there was no need to discuss it again with the stake president. However since the SP brought it up I took the opportunity to ask his definition of M. He said it was doing anything that was self stimulating. I asked whether or not it was okay to do during relations with a spouse. He thought for a minute and said “I guess that would be up to you”.

I believe members should call out leaders who deviate from the guidelines but since the guidelines are essentially a secret most members would never know what the guidelines are and likely wouldn’t question any inappropriate line of questioning.

I am an assistant stake clerk and I get invited to meetings with the stake presidency and the visiting general authority. I’ve been tempted to ask the GA during one of these meetings how the church leadership feels about M but I haven’t had the nerve.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 25 May 2019, 19:23

BJE wrote:
25 May 2019, 17:32
Your definition of the law of chastity is what I covenanted to obey and I can say I’ve never had a sexual relation with anyone besides my wife. I’m curious where I might find what you refer to that Elder Bednar said?
https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ ... r?lang=eng
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Daughter1

Post by Daughter1 » 25 May 2019, 20:22

DarkJedi wrote:
25 May 2019, 10:07
Personally I think the best answer to the question is "That I have no sexual relations with anyone to whom I am not legally and lawfully wedded," but of course most being interviewed for missionary service have likely not heard that exact wording (although Elder Bednar affirms we can certainly teach that to our kids).
I love his clarification of what can be taught outside the walls of the temple. So much more can be said than most people realize. And yes. This is what my answer would be if ever asked more specific questions.
I don't think there could ever be just one single philosophy or one single religion. Since there are so many different types of people, with a range of tendencies and inclinations, it is quite fitting that there are differences between religions. And the fact that there are so many different descriptions of the religious path shows how rich religion is. - HH the XIV Dalai Lama