Putting down my pitchfork... er... taking a hiatus.

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
Beefster

Putting down my pitchfork... er... taking a hiatus.

Post by Beefster » 03 Dec 2017, 18:20

I think I need to take a month or so off from visiting this forum so that I can focus on the positive aspects of the church. I shouldn't let the 10% I don't like (this isn't a tithing joke, I promise) ruin the 50% I do like and the 40% I don't mind.

My shelf is still very much broken and I don't expect this will solve all my problems. I don't blame the forum for that because my disenchantment with the church started before I joined the forum. I just need to focus on the positive for a while since I tend to mostly air out dirty laundry here. When I return, hopefully I'll be able to be more positive around here.

Perhaps I've let some things- attitudes and such- get in between me and God. I might be overcomplicating my faith and throwing out the baby with the bathwater to some extent. I may have labeled myself into an attitude of doubt trying to fit in here, when that clearly isn't the goal of this forum.
Boys are governed by rules. Men are governed by principles.

Often I hear doubt being presented as the opposite of faith but I think certainty does a better job of filling that role. Doubts can help faith grow, certainty almost always makes faith shrink. --nibbler

SilentDawning

Re: Putting down my pitchfork... er... taking a hiatus.

Post by SilentDawning » 03 Dec 2017, 18:30

Beefster wrote:
03 Dec 2017, 18:20
I think I need to take a month or so off from visiting this forum so that I can focus on the positive aspects of the church. I shouldn't let the 10% I don't like (this isn't a tithing joke, I promise) ruin the 50% I do like and the 40% I don't mind.

My shelf is still very much broken and I don't expect this will solve all my problems. I don't blame the forum for that because my disenchantment with the church started before I joined the forum. I just need to focus on the positive for a while since I tend to mostly air out dirty laundry here. When I return, hopefully I'll be able to be more positive around here.

Perhaps I've let some things- attitudes and such- get in between me and God. I might be overcomplicating my faith and throwing out the baby with the bathwater to some extent. I may have labeled myself into an attitude of doubt trying to fit in here, when that clearly isn't the goal of this forum.
I have felt that way at times. Hopefully my venting didnt' contribute today. It's nice to know there is a place you can go to share ideas and frustrations like this, without much impunity unless you go off the deep end with it. I'm a rough patch now in that respect, so that is why I tried to post something positive. Hopefully you'll come back stronger.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"Stage 5 is where you no longer believe the gospel as its literally or traditionally taught. Nonetheless, you find your own way to be active and at peace within it". -- SD

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1576

mom3

Post by mom3 » 03 Dec 2017, 20:20

Enjoy it. Looking for the positive is one of the greatest powers in the universe. Have fun.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 04 Dec 2017, 06:42

I have also felt this way sometimes. While I think we try to be positive here, especially in comparison to some other sites, there can't help but be some negativity or at least things that can be viewed as negative. I once started a thread on good things that happen at church just because I was feeling this way. I have also taken breaks, as have others and I think it's generally a positive experience. May you find the peace you seek.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 04 Dec 2017, 15:44

Maintaining balance is important, and not letting 10% overwhelm 90% is a little more than important.

See you whenever you are ready to continue here - or never again, if you find a healthy balance that works for you and you no longer need us. In an ideal world, this forum wouldn't exist - and we are happy when it no longer is necessary even in this non-ideal world.

God bless you while you are away.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Roy

Post by Roy » 05 Dec 2017, 10:14

I miss voices that I am used to hearing. There is a pang of sadness whenever anyone leaves or stops commenting. When a long silent voice chimes in again it is like seeing an old friend.

OTOH, The purpose of this site is to equip individuals to the point that the site is no longer needed. Therefore those that are able to jump back into church activity are "moving on" in a positive manner. Those that feel that they must leave the church for their personal wellbeing are also hopefully able to "move on" in a positive manner largely without bitterness or recriminations.

Wherever you go - may it be a deliberate and thoughtful path that you walk. God be with you till we meet again.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 08 Dec 2017, 12:10

mom3 wrote:
03 Dec 2017, 20:20
Enjoy it. Looking for the positive is one of the greatest powers in the universe. Have fun.
I agree with mom3. We each find our ways to do this.

Church is always there. You can take a break and then find you want to go back when ready.
This forum is the same. We're always here chattin about this or that. You can join the discussion whenever you want to add your voice and help support others.

Sometimes you need a break to be by yourself with your thoughts and take care of yourself...kind of the approach they tell you on an airplane with the oxygen mask...gotta get yours on right before you can help others.

You're a good dude, beefster. You have added lots to this forum. Thanks for all you do. Peace, brother. Don't be a stranger.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

Sheldon

Post by Sheldon » 09 Dec 2017, 19:28

I had breakfast with Beefster this morning. We talked for 2 hours. He is a good kid, and will be alright. We'll probably see him back on here in the future.

mom3

Post by mom3 » 09 Dec 2017, 23:26

That's right you two connected in Denver. Well done Shelly.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman