Church Donations to Help SLC Homeless People

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Church Donations to Help SLC Homeless People

Post by Curt Sunshine » 03 Nov 2017, 17:48

I love everything about this article. Every. Single. Thing.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865 ... -Lake.html
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

dande48

Re: Church Donations to Help SLC Homeless People

Post by dande48 » 03 Nov 2017, 19:52

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 04 Nov 2017, 04:46

Yep :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: We need more stories like these.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

Willhewonder

Post by Willhewonder » 04 Nov 2017, 05:10

Yay! I stayed in a hotel in the Rio Grande Station area across from the park last July, and the view out my window was very distressing. It's good to see the Church and community doing something constructive about homelessness.

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 04 Nov 2017, 07:10

Big :thumbup:
But I just can't help but add, "I wish this wasn't so uncommon."

Sheldon

Post by Sheldon » 04 Nov 2017, 08:16

Yes, this is great news. But like Lookinghard said, this should not be news, it should be normal........

mom3

Post by mom3 » 04 Nov 2017, 09:46

Having spoken one on one with top leaders in the Humanitarian Department this is the goal. Right now there are various facets working on this. From their lips to my ears, "This is the direction the church wants to move."

They were very generous in granting funds for the homeless in a non-Utah state. A lot of it is connected to learning the facets of programs and how the funds would help.

Just walking up and handing anyone loads of money is not always useful. Take lottery winners as an example.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 04 Nov 2017, 12:42

mom3 wrote:
04 Nov 2017, 09:46
Having spoken one on one with top leaders in the Humanitarian Department this is the goal. Right now there are various facets working on this. From their lips to my ears, "This is the direction the church wants to move."

They were very generous in granting funds for the homeless in a non-Utah state. A lot of it is connected to learning the facets of programs and how the funds would help.

Just walking up and handing anyone loads of money is not always useful. Take lottery winners as an example.
Given that I still pay a full tithe on gross and a very sizable fast offering, I would like to know that my funds are not being wasted.

I see it somewhat the same as giving cash to people on the street corner. I have heard people that are dedicated to helping the homeless and they say you should never do that. Instead I actually buy sets of $10 McDonalds gift cards and keep them in my car. I give those out since they can't be used for drugs or liquor. And if someone is really hungry, they will be fine with some McDonalds food and it seems a McDonalds is never far away.

But there are good organizations that are cash starved that really could do some great things with some $. It doesn't take too much time to vet a few and pass on amounts a lot less than this sizable donation. And I think they should mention it (but not make a big deal out of it). I think it will focus some additional $ and efforts to these other good causes.

But once again - this is really good.

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl » 04 Nov 2017, 12:54

This is great to see, and not that surprising given the spotlight they had on giving homes to the homeless before. I believe they featured it on Colbert or one of those Daily News spinoffs.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 04 Nov 2017, 13:08

LookingHard wrote:
04 Nov 2017, 12:42
Given that I still pay a full tithe on gross and a very sizable fast offering, I would like to know that my funds are not being wasted.
The donation comes from the church's Humanitarian Aid Fund, which comes from the voluntary contributions by church members.
I'm not knocking the donation, just clarifying. This donation came from the humanitarian aid fund, which is separate from tithing.

But you have given me an idea... start paying tithing in McDonald's gift cards. :angel:
It is the end of the world. Surely you could be allowed a few carnal thoughts.
― Connie Willis