SP - Bragging

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
mom3

SP - Bragging

Post by mom3 » 28 Sep 2017, 11:11

We don't do this very often but I want to brag on 2 cool Stake Presidents I connect with.

The first is my own. He is a newbie. Only been in a few months. Come to find out he spends his summers doing a "Doctor's Without Borders" deal. Has been for quite a few years. It's not a church deal or mission trip. Just sharing health care around the world. His family comes along and teaches classes to communities. I was blown away.

The second one is a neighboring SP. He has been, since he was a Bishop, leading his wards to engage in meaningful non-LDS humanitarian service experiences. I met him the other night. All but one ward in his Stake is immersed in genuine community service to the truly needy. It has nothing to do with Just Serve. He told me it is a Bishop's responsibility to provide for all the poor and needy. Not just the people who come and ask for fast offerings or food orders. And not just for ward members. He also sits on the Executive Interfaith Leadership Committee in our community. Rubbing shoulders with people from all the churches in the area.

I have known plenty of SP's in my life - none of them ever did that. Plenty had their own business. Even traveled. But not humanitarian centered. Pretty cool stuff.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

gospeltangents

Re: SP - Bragging

Post by gospeltangents » 28 Sep 2017, 12:22

My recently released stake president is really cool. We go to lunch every few weeks and talk church history. He knows more than most!
See my latest interviews on Mormon History, Science & Theology at www.gospeltangents.com

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 28 Sep 2017, 13:33

All go endeavors in which to belong.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"Stage 5 is where you no longer believe the gospel as its literally or traditionally taught. Nonetheless, you find your own way to be active and at peace within it". -- SD

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1576

Roy

Post by Roy » 28 Sep 2017, 15:24

It is good to be reminded that despite the many instances in our church where people can be insular, narrow minded, and petty - people in our church can also be impressively giving, charitable, welcoming, and expansive. :thumbup:
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 30 Sep 2017, 10:17

Thank you. We need to hear these things to try to have a degree of balance.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Gerald

Post by Gerald » 01 Oct 2017, 08:32

These SPs sound like stellar individuals. I like my current Stake President a lot (I've known him a long time) but the kinds of activities that your Stake Presidents do would be totally foreign to my SP (and my stake as a whole). It's a shame there's not a bit more push for wards and stakes to get involved in meaningful community service.
So through the dusk of dead, blank-legended And unremunerative years we search to get where life begins, and still we groan because we do not find the living spark where no spark ever was; and thus we die, still searching, like poor old astronomers who totter off to bed and go to sleep, to dream of untriangulated stars.
---Edwin Arlington Robinson---

mom3

Post by mom3 » 09 Nov 2017, 10:01

It just gets better.

Over the past couple of months I have been privy to email conversations he has sent out. On every single one of them he signs his initials. No "President So and So".

I don't spend tons of time with him, but the moments I do have warm my heart.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 10 Nov 2017, 11:05

There are good examples in the church of good leadership. I like how you notice this...call it out...and share it. It's good to stay balanced and notice the good and the bad in the church.

I have not necessarily found people in the church to be so amazing that there is a difference between mormons and non-mormons.

I simply find it a mixed bag. Some good ones in the church, and not good ones in the church. Good and not good outside the church as well.

That doesn't minimize a good SP. It's nice when we have them. I do find most are...and in personal one-on-one chats with them...see they are more flexible and compassionate then we sometimes think based on what they say over the pulpit. Just my experience.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 10 Nov 2017, 21:12

I had a SP about a decade ago who signed all of his emails with only his first initial. There was a Bishop in that stake who went by his first name (e.g. Bishop Nibbler). :P
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Roy

Post by Roy » 12 Nov 2017, 12:24

Curt Sunshine wrote:
10 Nov 2017, 21:12
Bishop Nibbler
From your mouth to God's ears! :P
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13