Aaronic priesthood / Deacon interview questions

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: Aaronic priesthood / Deacon interview questions

Post by Curt Sunshine » 04 Sep 2017, 19:21

Search our archives, using the actual word. You will find other threads about it.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

squarepeg

Post by squarepeg » 04 Sep 2017, 21:44

Thank you for all these wonderful replies. I will prepare him by going over the temple recommend interview in the short term, and then when his birthday is nearer I'll ask the bishop if he can tell us exactly what he will be asking. Thanks for that suggestion. I guess I was thinking that we couldn't ask ahead of time. But why not? Ok. I didn't even THINK about a masturbation question being part of it. I'm not sure my son knows what that is! I sure hope that isn't one of the questions. I am really ok with leaving that one up to the individual to decide, with the Spirit, whether it is spiritually damaging for them or not.

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 05 Sep 2017, 10:14

It shouldn't be part of the interview, but, leadership roulette is real.

The handbook says clearly that it shouldn't be asked, without addressing the exact issue (saying nothing should be asked that might cause curiosity or experimentation) - but too many leaders don't read it carefully and, instead, rely on what they were asked decades ago.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 05 Sep 2017, 10:23

Here is a thread about masturbation that has over 100 comments - some of them quite funny.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2022

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 05 Sep 2017, 17:48

squarepeg wrote:
04 Sep 2017, 21:44
Thank you for all these wonderful replies. I will prepare him by going over the temple recommend interview in the short term, and then when his birthday is nearer I'll ask the bishop if he can tell us exactly what he will be asking. Thanks for that suggestion. I guess I was thinking that we couldn't ask ahead of time. But why not? Ok. I didn't even THINK about a masturbation question being part of it. I'm not sure my son knows what that is! I sure hope that isn't one of the questions. I am really ok with leaving that one up to the individual to decide, with the Spirit, whether it is spiritually damaging for them or not.

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk
I don't think it would be inappropriate to share with your bishop that you'd rather he not ask about masturbation for the reasons you stated. Back in the day when I was a bishop's counselor and we did youth TR interviews, the younger ones often didn't know what the law of chastity is. I actually recall a deacon answering "no" to "Do you live the law of chastity?" (the bishop wanted us to ask the questions as written). After recomposing myself, I asked him if he knew what the law of chastity was, and he said he didn't. I told him he needed to ask his Dad and moved on. Obviously there are some 12-year-olds who are far more advanced than others, but I seriously don;t believe we should be asking those questions of pre-pubescent or barely pubescent youngsters.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

squarepeg

Post by squarepeg » 06 Sep 2017, 08:10

DarkJedi wrote:
05 Sep 2017, 17:48
Obviously there are some 12-year-olds who are far more advanced than others, but I seriously don;t believe we should be asking those questions of pre-pubescent or barely pubescent youngsters.
I agree. I had to explain the law of chastity. My son thought "chastity" was something bad, though he had no idea what.

I'm so glad the handbook says not to ask the question anymore. I remember a book I read when I was a teenager by Spencer W. Kimball, (I can't remember the title but it's one of the old well-known ones,) and it talked at some length about masturbation being sinful, as well as "necking and petting" which were far obsolete by the 90s when I was a youth, but still used in church settings. Maybe asking about it in interviews became commonplace during Kimball's presidency, or after that book was published.