"Your daughters shall prophecy!" - Amazing BYU devotional talk

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: "Your daughters shall prophecy!" - Amazing BYU devotional talk

Post by Curt Sunshine » 02 Aug 2018, 13:05

This talk was mentioned in a current thread, so I am bumping it up for view again.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Roy

Re: "Your daughters shall prophecy!" - Amazing BYU devotional talk

Post by Roy » 24 Jul 2019, 08:48

Elder Ballard said something similar to this talk in a BYU Women's Conference in 2015. He recently shared an edited quote from that talk of his on Facebook.
Once you know the Lord's will, you can then move forward in faith to fulfill your individual
purpose. One sister may be inspired to continue her education and attend medical school,
allowing her to have significant impact on her patients and to advance medical research. For
another sister, inspiration may lead her to forego a scholarship to a prestigious institution and
instead begin a family much earlier than has become common in this generation.

Is it possible for two similarly faithful women to receive such different responses to the same
basic questions? Absolutely! What’s right for one woman may not be right for another. That’s
why it is so important that we should not question each other’s choices or the inspiration behind
them. And we should refrain from asking hurtful and unsupportive questions. We can all be kinder and more thoughtful of the situations in which
our sisters throughout the world find themselves as they seek to follow the will of our Heavenly
Father in their individual lives.
I am sharing it here as another resource on this important topic of female self determination.

The full talk is found at the link below. It has several moments that seem condescending to me but the part I shared above is gold!
https://womensconference.ce.byu.edu/sit ... lard_0.pdf
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13