"Your daughters shall prophecy!" - Amazing BYU devotional talk

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

"Your daughters shall prophecy!" - Amazing BYU devotional talk

Post by Curt Sunshine » 12 Jul 2017, 13:55

Eva Witesman, a BYU Marriott School of Business associate professor, gave the following BYU devotional talk two weeks ago. Typically, these talks get 1,000-2,000 views during the first two weeks after being posted. This talk has received 14,500 views in that same time period.

It is the best talk I have heard from any pulpit in my lifetime. It is worth watching.

The actual title is, "Women and Education: 'A Future Only God Could See for You'". There is a video at the link below of the entire talk.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8656 ... ional.html
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

DarkJedi

Re: "Your daughters shall prophecy!" - Amazing BYU devotional talk

Post by DarkJedi » 13 Jul 2017, 06:45

I agree it's worth the half hour or so. There's a great old quote from SWK about treating women better, and I like how Sr. Witesman points out that for some the "will of God" might not be SAHM and we shouldn't let anyone tell us otherwise. Her talk was a little too heavy on the "God knows you" theme for me, but those are my personal issues and it wasn't so heavy that it detracted from the main message (which may not have been as effective without that postulation).
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 13 Jul 2017, 10:06

I loved at the end when she told the men of the Church to stay out of the way. :clap:
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

mom3

Re: "Your daughters shall prophecy!" - BYU devotional talk

Post by mom3 » 13 Jul 2017, 10:16

I wish a top leader had given that talk.

So much to like.

However my feminism chaffs at the fact that this has been the plea of my LDS sisters for years. Even when they don't realize it. I watch them work to conform with the hope of fulfillment of Joel and other ancients. Every time they step out, they are pulled back two steps. Yes President Kimball saw a light. President Benson called it back.

I have a millennial daughter who yearns to be a full daughter of God. She runs with hope blazing in her. As her mom of nearly 30 years I squint when I watch her, because I fear the skinned knees and hands that she will endure on the way to her desire. Maybe they won't hurt so bad. Maybe top leadership will listen and open up the flood gates and let women be their own full selves. Right now she is in an illustrious place. She is in a Relief Society Presidency in a family ward. That presidency is as unorthodox as they come. She is exultant in her participation in it. I laud her Bishop for his foresight and faith in these amazing unorthodox women. I plead to my Heavenly Parents that this is beginning. Not just for my daughter. But for all the daughters of the Kingdom.

We as women can do so much in the Kingdom. Let us do it. Let us be it. Give us back the authorities you silently removed from us for no reason. Let the Deborah's, Hannah's and Miriam's flourish. Please.

I hope her voice isn't silenced or shifted to some other form. Most likely her moment in the sun will be forgotten.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

mom3

Post by mom3 » 13 Jul 2017, 10:17

I loved at the end when she told the men of the Church to stay out of the way.
Me, too. But it's also where my faith came crashing down.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 13 Jul 2017, 13:14

As a BYU devotional talk, it probably had to be approved. That simple fact alone gives me hope - as does Elder Oaks' talk in 2014 about women having Priesthood power and authority.

I know it feels too slow (and is slow), but it is faster than at any other time I can remember in my lifetime. I just hope it keeps accelerating.

mom3

Post by mom3 » 13 Jul 2017, 18:06

Ray wrote -
I know it feels too slow (and is slow), but it is faster than at any other time I can remember in my lifetime. I just hope it keeps accelerating.
I link my heart to your hope. It's too tired now to stand on it's own.

Roy

Post by Roy » 16 Jul 2017, 15:46

I really liked this speech. For me the biggest takeaways are:

1) that girls should be encouraged to pursue education regardless of concrete plans to enter the workforce.
2) because to learn is a spiritual pursuit that will make them more like heavenly Parents.
3) that each daughter of God can listen to her internal compass to follow the path that is meant for her.

These seem like great leaps forward.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 16 Jul 2017, 17:12

Roy wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 15:46
I really liked this speech. For me the biggest takeaways are:

1) that girls should be encouraged to pursue education regardless of concrete plans to enter the workforce.
2) because to learn is a spiritual pursuit that will make them more like heavenly Parents.
3) that each daughter of God can listen to her internal compass to follow the path that is meant for her.

These seem like great leaps forward.
I got all that too, Roy. I also got that women should not be discouraged from pursuing education for the workforce if that's what she believes is the will of God. I think every young woman in the church should hear this talk.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 20 Jul 2017, 07:46

Those are among my top takeaways, as well, Roy and DJ.

I suggested to our YW President that they use this talk as a lesson. She said she would look at it.