I wasn't giving my children enough credit

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
LookingHard

Re: I wasn't giving my children enough credit

Post by LookingHard » 15 Jun 2017, 19:45

Heber, I think your mileage will vary. I do agree there are probably quite a few folks that are much more open to nuanced members, but a few hard nosed folks can make it a pain to come out - especially if that is your bishop.

Heber13
Site Admin

Post by Heber13 » 16 Jun 2017, 08:32

LookingHard wrote:
15 Jun 2017, 19:45
Heber, I think your mileage will vary. I do agree there are probably quite a few folks that are much more open to nuanced members, but a few hard nosed folks can make it a pain to come out - especially if that is your bishop.
100% agree. That is a good way to frame it. I guess...same could be said for families. some families would not be able to handle it the way Reuben got support from his spouse and the kids...mileage will vary...or as they say with investment advice: "Past performance may not be indicative of future results".

But, I guess the point I was making was that we sometimes fear that all members will act like the folks who will be hard nosed that make it a pain. We are sometimes surprised when there is more support and understanding than we fear.

But your disclaimer is a good reminder...it is likely some will never support the idea, the ones that are fighting to keep their own testimonies protected (instead of allowing themselves to openly listen to others' experiences or ideas).
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

Joni

Post by Joni » 16 Jun 2017, 15:22

Skimming through your initial post, I thought you were talking about reading Moroni 9. Which is also full of hateful bullcrap :twisted: