Pres. Monson reduction in work

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
LookingHard

Re: Pres. Monson reduction in work

Post by LookingHard » 25 May 2017, 19:11

I just read (sorry no link as it was in Facebook and I can't find it now) that Hugh B. Brown suggested that their be a mandatory retirement age. He would be about the first to be retired if this had gone into effect. It was 10 years later when they implemented for the 70.

On Own Now

Post by On Own Now » 26 May 2017, 06:50

mom3 wrote: As a small side note - I miss President Hinckley, President Monson, and President Faust. Their friendship oozed into their teamship. I think it was good for the overall church.
Quick note of trivia interesting only to me, probably. There have only been two cases where the entire FP was made up of the current Church President and two future Church Presidents. The first time was under ETB, when GBH and TSM were counselors and the second was right after, when HWH was President and GBH and TSM were counselors.
"Let us therefore no longer pass judgment on one another, but resolve instead never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of another." --Romans 14:13

Heber13
Site Admin

Post by Heber13 » 26 May 2017, 08:12

NightSG wrote:
25 May 2017, 13:41
Well, what would happen if a prophet did say he wanted to step down? Is he the only LDS without agency to decline to continue in a calling?
Interesting question. I think he could step down, just like the Pope did, if he thought it was for the best, for whatever reason.

I do not thing the other apostles would say, "You aren't allowed to do that".

And as Sambee pointed out, we have a system that is stable, so stepping down doesn't break the system.

It could be done. I just can't imagine when it would ever happen.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

Sheldon

Post by Sheldon » 26 May 2017, 08:20

I read an interesting (and cynical) analysis on another forum. While we all love Eyring and Uchtdorf, they have a really low chance of ever becoming the Prophet due to their ages, and being where they sit in the order. Their only power lays with them remaining in the FP.

But Nelson, Oaks and Holland each have a really high chance. So the power lays with them, and they have their groups in the 12 and 70 following them, looking to get bootstrapped up the chain when they sit in the number one chair. Ballard and Hales have little chance, so no power. And those younger 70’s playing the long game are hooking their wagon to Bednar.

mom3

Post by mom3 » 26 May 2017, 09:46

On Own Now - Quick note of trivia interesting only to me, probably. There have only been two cases where the entire FP was made up of the current Church President and two future Church Presidents. The first time was under ETB, when GBH and TSM were counselors and the second was right after, when HWH was President and GBH and TSM were counselors.
It is part of the bromance between GBH and TSM that I double love. I don't think it will ever happen again quite the same way and for such a long stretch. It's also why I believe TSM may be very lonely. He is the only one left.
Sheldon - I read an interesting (and cynical) analysis on another forum. While we all love Eyring and Uchtdorf, they have a really low chance of ever becoming the Prophet due to their ages, and being where they sit in the order. Their only power lays with them remaining in the FP.

But Nelson, Oaks and Holland each have a really high chance. So the power lays with them, and they have their groups in the 12 and 70 following them, looking to get bootstrapped up the chain when they sit in the number one chair. Ballard and Hales have little chance, so no power. And those younger 70’s playing the long game are hooking their wagon to Bednar.
I actually share that cynicism as well. You can catch it in brief statements made etc. Bednar came out of the gate stronger on the GC when he and Uchtdorf were called. It really wasn't until Uchtdorf became a member of the FP that anyone gave his words much thought. I for one don't want to lose that. Which puts me in a tough spot. I ache for President Monson. As I mentioned above the guy is all alone, all his friends, his wive and who knows who else have left this life. His body has reached capacity and yet I believe we need the balance and weight of Eyring and Uchtdorf desperately. I never am sure where to vote my heart on this.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 26 May 2017, 10:28

NightSG wrote:
25 May 2017, 13:41
SilentDawning wrote:
24 May 2017, 05:37
I wish there was a way of letting them leave the presidency voluntarily so THEN, the succession in the presidency can take over to determine who is next.
Well, what would happen if a prophet did say he wanted to step down? Is he the only LDS without agency to decline to continue in a calling?

For that matter, what would happen if he simply opposed his own sustaining vote at Conference? Or answered no to the "do you sustain..." question at his next TR interview?
Then make it a determination of a pair of doctors as to whether it is best for the prophet's well being if he continues. That takes it out of the hands of the Q12 except to have a 2/3 vote that a doctor's opinion is necessary....
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"Stage 5 is where you no longer believe the gospel as its literally or traditionally taught. Nonetheless, you find your own way to be active and at peace within it". -- SD

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1576