LDS Living - YSA Bishops Message on Not-Judging

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
mom3

LDS Living - YSA Bishops Message on Not-Judging

Post by mom3 » 22 May 2017, 15:47

"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Ashley

Re: LDS Living - YSA Bishops Message on Not-Judging

Post by Ashley » 22 May 2017, 19:07

This was a great read! I have been on both sides, I hate to admit I was once the person judging my SIL as she walked out of the temple in her wedding dress that she obviously had to tuck her Gs in at the sleeve, as it was basically sleeveless. I've apologized to her since my faith crisis, but I still feel like an idiot I ever Judged her and that I ever thought it was ok to judge her based on that. And now I'm on the other side, I see people garment checking me... life is funny like that.

dande48

Post by dande48 » 22 May 2017, 19:17

Reminded me back at BYU when the ladies would feel up my pant leg to "check" for the garmet line. Excellent read! I loved the article.
"Sir, it's quite possible this asteroid is not entirely stable." - C-3PO

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 23 May 2017, 07:29

I actually have meet this this guy and know some of his family. He is the real deal - just a loving warm guy. He would be the grand prize of leadership roulette. We need someone like him called as an apostle and things would change for the better.

If all leaders were like him I think many people would feel OK being a member and participating even if they don't feel like they believe everything. I think there would be more people that would actually talk with their bishop about faith issues.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 24 May 2017, 18:53

Loved it when I first read it.

Love it just as much now.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken