Reactivation program

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
SamBee

Reactivation program

Post by SamBee » 20 May 2017, 13:28

Well my Excitable Bishop (See here viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8101&p=112998&hilit ... le#p112998) is very keen on the temple. I'm actually going on the trip soon but since I have no TR, it will be mainly a trip to the shops there and the temple grounds...

However, he also asked me to get involved in tracking down inactive members on the roll with another guy. "Uh-oh", I can hear you thinking.

I explained my thinking on this and suggested it is best we divide them into various groups. I said that such people vary a lot in their attitude to the church - from affection way over to outright hostility. And in at least two cases, outright insanity. I also said I had no interest in being the one to have to contact them as I do not have good people skills.

What I did say is that I would like to work out one group first. The dead. Now the church has a Gogol-esque way of counting dead people as members. Trying to work this out is hard - but my proposal is we look at ages. Somebody who hasn't contacted us for ten years, and who was 80 back then may well be either infirm, in care or have passed away by 90. If the once 80 year old hasn't contacted us for 20 years, then death is even more likely at over 100 etc. The 105 to 112 range (when they are taken off the records is an even bigger no no. People do reach that age, but very few.)

Now that hopefully will take up time, what happens when like Gogol's hero I run out of dead people and have to find the living?
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

SilentDawning

Re: Reactivation program

Post by SilentDawning » 20 May 2017, 16:33

If you sincerely, WANT to be part of a such an effort in some capacity, I wouldn't discourage what you want to do.

But if it were me, I would be suggesting he focuses on making the experience of being a Mormon good. Great, spirit filled lessons, motivating, well-prepared talks. Programs that are well-executed. Youth lessons that engage classes to the point the youth start bringing their friends and are wetting their pants with excitement about coming to church and activities each week. A warm, welcoming Ward where people feel part of their community, not ostracized by it. Leaders who exude charity and acceptance and love of everyone, regardless of their activity or commitment level.

That way, when people show up and come back to church spontaneously, they are inspired and motivated.

I would point out the demotivating effects of chasing after inactives, and purge the idea of the glory associated with "pushing against the rock". I would cite the time I visited 200 families over a 3 year period and saw no results than a few forwarding addresses.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"Stage 5 is where you no longer believe the gospel as its literally or traditionally taught. Nonetheless, you find your own way to be active and at peace within it". -- SD

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1576

dande48

Post by dande48 » 20 May 2017, 21:23

Lol, this reminded me of a time I was cold-contacted by missionaries from a ward I had moved out of seven years prior. They were "very sorry" they hadn't seen me at church lately, and enthusiastically invited me back.

Once you have the "dead" crossed off your list, I would visit all but the "insane" (they're already "saved", aren't they?). If they're friendly, ask what's keeping them back. If they're hostile, try to figure out why they haven't had their records removed. Say, "Hey, I get it. I have reservations too. But what's keeping you from cutting off ties to the Church?" I think it's super important for them to feel their concerns are addressed, and that you're willing to help get them where they want to go.

With any luck, you'll get the friendlies a step closer to activity, some of the hostiles a step closer to "friendly", and permanently take the rest off the list.
"Sir, it's quite possible this asteroid is not entirely stable." - C-3PO

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 22 May 2017, 02:29

I think identifying the dead would be useful for our records, and inoffensive. The question is how long I could spin it out for.

Regarding the insane folk - one of them is severely schizophrenic (and out of it much the time) and another is very hostile now...
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

NightSG

Post by NightSG » 23 May 2017, 10:13

SilentDawning wrote:
20 May 2017, 16:33
But if it were me, I would be suggesting he focuses on making the experience of being a Mormon good. Great, spirit filled lessons, motivating, well-prepared talks. Programs that are well-executed. Youth lessons that engage classes to the point the youth start bringing their friends and are wetting their pants with excitement about coming to church and activities each week. A warm, welcoming Ward where people feel part of their community, not ostracized by it. Leaders who exude charity and acceptance and love of everyone, regardless of their activity or commitment level.
Now you're just being unreasonable. :roll:

As for identifying the dead, a helpful site would be findagrave.com Some areas are more up to date than others, but you know when they were last seen alive, so that gives you an "after" date for the search.