How to be authentic but not cause a scene

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: How to be authentic but not cause a scene

Post by Curt Sunshine » 04 Jun 2017, 21:09

Learn to frame everything in Mormon-speak. Seriously, most of the time, how you say something will be more important than the actual message your are trying to communicate.

I have spent decades working on that skill, and I can say almost anything in a way that, at least, doesn't sound apostate or offensive to almost all traditional members - even if they still don't agree with me. Also, it is pretty much the only way you will have a chance of influencing others to begin to see thing the way you do.

We have to communicate with people "in their own tongue" to have much of a chance at being successful.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken