Llamas before Us

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
mom3

Llamas before Us

Post by mom3 » 22 Feb 2017, 13:05

Learning you are a Llama can be traumatizing. All around you see only sheep. But do not fear other Llama's exist and have existed before you. I encourage you to look for them, gain insight from them, find hope through them. My list is not complete. Please add as you go.

Terryl and Fiona Givens
Darius Gray
Armand Mauss
Rob Rees
Carol Lynn Pearrson
Kristine Haglund
Edward Kimball
Boyd Peterson
Grant Hardy

Read from their works. Learn the style. Find Faith. You can Llama, too.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Orson
Site Admin

Re: Llamas before Us

Post by Orson » 22 Feb 2017, 19:25

Some of the classics:

Eugene England
Leonard Arrington
Lowell Bennion
Richard Bushman
My avatar - both physical and spiritual.

I first found faith, and thought I had all truth. I then discovered doubt, and claimed a more accurate truth. Now I’ve greeted paradox and a deeper truth than I have ever known.

mom3

Post by mom3 » 22 Feb 2017, 21:49

Yes Orson - Great additions. I am a huge Eugene England and Lowell Bennion Fan.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 23 Feb 2017, 12:25

I think BH Roberts makes a good addition to the list.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

squarepeg

Post by squarepeg » 24 Feb 2017, 07:38

Thank you for this post! I keep reading mainstream-Christian apologetics (CS Lewis, GK Chesterton, Timothy Keller, Ravi Zacharias) and still feeling starved and disappointed. Maybe THESE are whom I need to be reading instead!

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

Ann

Post by Ann » 24 Feb 2017, 13:01

A few more llamas before us or among us now:

Chieko Okazaki
Adam Miller
Thomas Wirthlin McConkie
Dan Wotherspoon
Patrick Mason
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11

mom3

Post by mom3 » 24 Feb 2017, 14:48

Yes. I knew there were more - BH Roberts - Duh. Like the leader of the pack.

Ann definitely your list. I could forget Chieko. I quote her as often as I can in church. People probably get sick of me.

Square Peg - Jump in and read them. I even copy and keep pieces to carry with me when I am at church, etc. I also fill my kindle with books by Adam Miller, Terryl and Fiona Givens, etc. Then if the meeting turns south, I can calmly read inspiring LDS words and not get burned.

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 24 Feb 2017, 16:14

mom3 wrote:I could forget Chieko. I quote her as often as I can in church. People probably get sick of me.
I think there might be a few, but many more that feel real relief from some of her sayings. Please keep doing it!

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 25 Feb 2017, 15:56

Even though he was a classic apologist in a very real way, Hugh Nibley should be on this list.

I also might add David O. McKay and Deiter F. Uchtdorf to this list - and perhaps Elder Cousse, as well.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken