EQ Exclusive Activities

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
amateurparent

Re: EQ Exclusive Activities

Post by amateurparent » 24 Jul 2016, 17:59

Roy:

You ask some excellent questions.

Two years ago, I approached our bishop (since released) about having a 16 yo LDS boy attend. He wasn't attending his own ward due to bullying issues. His ward youth and YM leaders had been hateful to him as he came across as "gay". He loved the LDS church and wanted to be included. I didn't tell the bishop that we all suspected the boy was gay .. But he just hadn't figured it out yet. (He quit attending church at age 11 and didn't figure out he was gay until age 17.)

Our bishop was okay with him attending until I mentioned that his family was active. Suddenly, the bishop was fixated on this boy's need to attend His ward with His family. Bishop was unwilling to have a young man attend a different ward and stake.

I think back to that situation and it still makes me really sad.
I have no advance degrees in parenting. No national credentials. I am an amateur parent. I read, study, and learn all I can to be the best parent possible. Every time I think I have reached expert status with one child for one stage in their life, something changes and I am back to amateur status again. Now when I really mess up, I just apologize to my child, and explain that I am indeed an amateur .. I'm still learning how to do this right.

Roy

Post by Roy » 08 May 2017, 09:46

Our EQ is planning an EQ only activity.

My concern was two fold: 1) How to advertise to guys that might not be regulars and 2) How to have an EQ only activity that does not turn people off and hurt people's feelings.

The EQP said that he would make flyers and ask people to bring friends. I suggested that we may want to say something on the flyer about men only - brotherly bonding etc. If we do not say anything about the men only aspect then some may misunderstand and bring the whole family. If we say Elders only then that may seem to exclude non-members or prospective Elders. Best to just say men only and if we get some high priests in attendance - no worries.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Ashley

Post by Ashley » 08 May 2017, 09:59

For a ward to be so bothered by the age of men in attendance to an activity is bothersome. Especially if they know he already might feel excluded to some degree. This situation sucks and sorry you and your husband has to deal with it!

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 08 May 2017, 10:15

:think:

I think there's an Aaronic Priesthood Commemoration Campout coming up in many stakes/wards this weekend. Bros only.
“We understand how dangerous a mask can be. We all become what we pretend to be.”
― Patrick Rothfuss

“No man, for any considerable period, can wear one face to himself and another to the multitude, without finally getting bewildered as to which may be the true.”
― Nathaniel Hawthorne

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 10 May 2017, 12:41

The HPs are welcome to all our EQ activities here. Thank God.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

NightSG

Post by NightSG » 11 May 2017, 08:25

amateurparent wrote:
20 Jul 2016, 20:48
And Steve doesn't qualify because he is a HP.
Tell them HPs only snore in Sacrament Meeting.

NightSG

Post by NightSG » 11 May 2017, 09:29

Roy wrote:
24 Jul 2016, 10:07
One thing that I have noticed is that these other churches seem so open and willing to have us join in their activities. Yes, as non-members they may be looking at us as potential converts but it certainly doesn't come across that way.
Largely because they're not just viewing you as potential converts, but as friends and neighbors.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 11 May 2017, 10:07

NightSG wrote:
11 May 2017, 08:25
amateurparent wrote:
20 Jul 2016, 20:48
And Steve doesn't qualify because he is a HP.
Tell them HPs only snore in Sacrament Meeting.
But that wouldn't be true - they regularly snore in HPG as well. After all, "church sleep is among the healthiest of all sleeps."
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction